TEK Club Prepares Students for Careers in Technology

The club focuses on the intersection between technology and business and helps connect students with professionals in their desired field.
Minh Vuong
Memebers of the TEK club pose for a photo on Jan. 30. (Photo by Minh Vuong | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Whether you are a technology-based major, a business student or simply looking for ways to better understand the tech and business world, the TEK Club at the University of Utah is definitely for you.

With events ranging from skill development workshops to networking socials, the TEK Club presents students with the opportunity to improve their technical skills and take massive steps in setting up a future career.

“We provide students interested in technology and tech in business with opportunities to network, connect with other students and connect with people around Utah,” said Luke Coffman, operations director for the club. “These people include alumni and current professionals who may potentially extend offers for going into a field.”

Who Can Join?

The TEK Club is information systems focused, with the majority of members belonging to the IS department. Because of this, events are largely based on computer science and IS-related activities, and the majority of guest speakers and company visits also come from this field.

However, thanks to the emphasis on the intersection of business and tech, club advisor and associate IS program director Laurie Bragg encourages students of all majors to join. She explained the club caters to all students interested in technology, whether they are majoring in a tech-based field or not.

“The majority of our students are in one of the three graduate degrees relating to IS: cybersecurity, business analytics and the more general IS degree,” Bragg said. “But we definitely have students from other business majors, and we really encourage students from outside of the business school [to join]. We’ve had CS students, econ students, math students. … Anyone is welcome and encouraged to join.”

What Members Can Expect

Events occur twice a month and typically focus on guest speakers, company visits and workshops. In the past, workshops have included teaching students how to create portfolios as well as develop skills with Tableau and Salesforce — two relevant platforms that will help boost student resumes and prepare them for future careers.

Company and guest speaker visits are implemented to help students network and gain a better understanding of career opportunities. Guest speakers range from alumni to successful businesspeople.

“We will bring somebody in from a company and let them tell the students what that company does, what kind of roles they have that are suited to people coming from the students’ majors, what they are looking for in a potential hire and what it’s like working at the company,” Bragg said.

Some of these speakers include people in the artificial intelligence industry, teaching students about the world of tech with AI. They explain how to use AI to its highest potential, discuss progress in AI development and even teach students the basics.

“Later in the semester, we will have an AI workshop,” Coffman said. “We’re going to have a speaker come in and discuss what’s going on in the world of tech with AI, how to utilize it and how to make it cater to student’s best interests.”

Additionally, the club puts on social events at the beginning and end of the semester so students can hang out, eat food and get to know other people in the club.

Meet the TEKs Event

In addition to their events throughout the semester, the TEK Club has a large-scale career fair once a semester where students can connect with companies in their desired field.

“Every semester we do a Meet the TEKs career fair where we partner with the Career Services Center and bring in a bunch of companies who are looking to hire interns or even full-time,” Coffman said.

Meet the TEKs will be held on Feb. 28 from 4-6 p.m. in the Spencer Fox Eccles Business Building’s Child Hall.

At the event, companies in CS, IS and other technological fields will be looking to network with and hire students.

“Meet the TEKs is a huge networking and recruiting event that happens in the fall and spring,” Bragg said. “I always tell students, if you don’t do anything else except that event, it’s worth it to be a part of the club.”

Other important events for club members include taking students to a company to let them get a feel for the culture, talk to the people who work there and network with the hiring team.

Students can learn about all of the events through Instagram and by joining the club’s Campus Connect.

@jamie_k_faux