‘Hit Me Hard and Soft’ Album Review: Billie Eilish Makes a Comeback

Eilish explores themes of heartbreak, insecurity and sexuality in her new album.
(Design by Mary Allen | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

On May 17, 2024, nine-time Grammy Award winner Billie Eilish rocked the internet with the release of her third studio album: “Hit Me Hard and Soft.The album remains true to Eilish’s authentic sound while interloping tones of production that fall into the creativity of her brother and co-producer, Finneas. The album explores thematic elements stretching from the usual heartbeat anthems to the intricacies of Eilish’s emersion into the LGBTQIA+ community.

Heartbreak on Vinyl

The most prominent theme that strings through this album is the same one that has tied together many of her other singles: heartbreak. “CHIHIRO,” which is climbing the ranks as one of the featured songs on the album, is the first piece to touch on the topic. It is accompanied by a bouquet of songs that draw out every drop of emotion from the vein of heartbreak. “BIRDS OF A FEATHER” and “BITTERSUITE” highlight the aggravation that comes with unbalanced affection and the frustration that follows when it is not reciprocated.

WILDFLOWER sends the message that comparison is the thief of joy. It explores the inner monologue of a young woman comparing herself to another woman in her loved one’s peripherals and how it feels to be caught in that web.The Greatestis a more melancholic track that delves into the feeling of being in a mentally abusive relationship and how difficult it is to break out of the shackles of someone with the power to bind you in their wavering affection. L’AMOUR DE MA VIE ” speaks for the people who feel that the effort that they put into relationships and the unconditional loyalty that they provide is often not reciprocated. It is the most visceral depiction of what being “taken advantage of” feels like. 

BLUE” is the most widely anticipated release on the album and arguably the best as it is a reworked version of two of Eilish’s unfinished tracks. “True Blue” was the name of the original song that was produced by her and Finneas when they were young children and inspires the chorus and the base melody of the track. The second verse depicts the life of a child who grew up in a dismissive familial environment and takes inspiration from another unreleased track, “Born Blue” that was originally supposed to be on Eilish’s 2021 album entitled “Happier Than Ever.”

Letters From Billie

SKINNY, the first track on the album, divulges all of Eilish’s insecurities in a diary-like profession. The song depicts the weight that body image has on society, more specifically women, through a piece that explores the fragile nature of falling in love (presumably with a woman).

Eilish first opened up about questioning her sexual orientation in an interview with Variety Magazine in 2023 and has now made a public declaration through the track LUNCH. It has become the lead single on the album and is a rather explicit profession of love for a woman. It is also the first time that Eilish has incorporated her newfound confidence in her sexuality into her music. 

The track that has everyone talking is probably the most unconventional of them all. InTHE DINER,” Eilish takes on the role of a stalker and tells a story that brings the horrors of fame into the limelight. It is an incredibly impactful song because it discusses the sides of fame that are often kept from the mainstream media. It depicts Eilish’s lyrical prowess, as she is able to remove herself from the piece entirely, get into the mind of a threat, and become it.

@thornrosejayy