Baseball: Utes ride walk-off to grab series victory from Lions

Baseball 1.jpg

After struggling through the last couple of weeks in the Pac-12, the Utah baseball team had a break from conference play, and it took on Southeastern Louisiana in their last non-conference series of the year.

After losing a tight game 3-2 on Friday night, the Utes turned around and recorded their largest victory of the season with a 14-5 win on Saturday night and returned Sunday to win the game and the series 4-3 on a walk-off single.

Even with the series win, head coach Bill Kinneberg wasn’t completely pleased with how his team played, especially closing out games.

“Well, [it’s] a little disappointing that it got to that deal,” he said. “We’ve got to learn how to close games out with two outs and nobody on base. Somehow, someway, we’ve got to get that third out in the ninth inning. That’s hurt us the last two weekends.”

Game one of the series was tight until the end, and the Lions would need a run in the ninth inning to squeak past the Utes.

Junior Nolan Stouder started and pitched six innings and allowed two runs off five hits, striking out six. Fellow junior Bret Helton relieved him but only pitched one inning in which he struck out one batter.

Sophomore Hunter Rodriguez pitched one-third of an inning and also recorded one strikeout. Senior Brock Duke pitched the remaining innings and earned the loss on the day, giving up the winning run and dropping to 0-4 on the year.

The Utes were led at the plate by junior AJ Young, who went 3-for-4. Sophomore Hunter Simmons and junior Kody Davis brought in Utah’s only runs, as Simmons went 1-for-3 and Davis went 2-for-4.

On Saturday, junior pitcher Dalton Carroll struggled in his first three innings but was able to rebound to pitch another solid three innings. He allowed five runs on six hits to collect the fourth win on the season.

After the Lions jumped a 5-1 lead in the third inning, the Utah offense came alive. The Utes scored six runs in the third followed by five runs in the fifth to fuel the 14-5 win.

The Utes had three different players with three RBIs on the day: Young, sophomore Dallas Carroll and freshman Wade Gulden. Gulden hit his first career home run in the process.

Davis, junior Cody Scaggari and sophomore Josh Rose were also able to drive runs home, as Davis ended with two RBIs and Scaggari and Rose had one apiece.

Sunday’s rubber match was tight, but Utah reversed Friday’s script with a game-winning hit of its own.

Young hit a walk-off single to left field to give the Utes a 4-3 victory for its 12th win of the season. But it didn’t need to be that hard.

Heading into the ninth inning, Utah held a 2-1, but then the Lions came roaring back. Just like on Friday, SLU was able to grab the lead in the ninth, as it plated two runs in the top of the inning, but this time Utah had an answer.

Utah senior Biss Larsen came in as a pinch hitter and singled. Scaggari was then able to drive in a run and tie things up at three before Young would put the icing on the cake with his single.

“It was 3-1, and he didn’t want to walk me and get a run in and walk it off with a walk,” Young said. “I knew a fastball was coming … so I got that fastball.”

Rose pitched the opening five and one-third innings and had three strikeouts. He allowed one run on eight hits.

Senior Brock Duke pitched the ninth and picked up the win to move to 1-4 on the year.

@ismithatheu