Even college students can afford to eat healthy

For years people have lived under the assumption (or excuse) that it is impossible to eat healthy in college. For starters, you’re suddenly on your own without your mother nagging you to eat your veggies. Between classes, work, pulling all-nighters to cram for tests, internships, struggling to incorporate a social life and an exercise routine and whatever else the typical college student endures, it can be difficult to avoid the temptation of a quick run to the drive-through for that high-sugar, high-fat, quick-energy meal.

But it is actually possible to eat reasonably in college, and it doesn’t necessarily have to be the hassle and burden that so many people make it out to be. In doing so, all those extra activities and engagements you’re trying to juggle will become easier to manage. With a little extra effort to eat right, you’ll likely feel much better overall and have more energy to accomplish everything that needs to be done.

So, what does it take to eat better in college? Elizabeth Kiefer, writing for teenvogue.com, recommends that students stock their refrigerators and shelves with good foods “with a long shelf life, like nuts, seeds, dried fruit, rice cakes and multi-grain crackers.” Additionally, apples and citrus fruits are good choices because they can last up to a couple weeks. Kiefer’s article proceeds with a list of options to improve eating, including eating “high-quality junk food” to savor it more as a once-in-a-while thing, so it doesn’t become a daily habit. Additionally, she talks about treating the dining hall as a classroom and educating yourself on what you’re really consuming, paying close attention to your body and what it really needs and being patient and experimenting with what makes you feel good and function well and what doesn’t. Then, once you’ve got that figured out, set and stick to an eating routine. That way, eating well becomes a habit and not something you have to think about all the time.

My personal experience has taught me that, aside from developing good eating habits, getting enough sleep and managing my time efficiently are some keys to eating healthier throughout the day. Getting enough sleep really helps reduce any cravings I might have for high-calorie and sugary pick-me-ups throughout the day. Managing my time effectively is a major stress-reducer for me. Stress is often considered a big contributor to unhealthy and unnecessary snacking. Also, good time management keeps me from feeling rushed, which reduces my desire to grab a quick meal at a fast food drive-through.

So, as surprising as it may seem, eating healthy is not too difficult to pull off in college with a little discipline and good habit-building. The issue has become more and more prevalent over the years with school dining halls working to improve their food selections and accommodating peoples’ requests. With the help of advocates and cooperative universities, students seem to be breaking away from the stigma that just because they’re in college they have to survive an intense and active college lifestyle on things like ramen and soda.