Taking Freedom for Granted

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]I want you to reach up and touch the top of your head. What do you feel — soft hair? A head scarf? Peach fuzz from a recent shave? Perhaps a spiky mohawk, for some of my edgier readers?

My point is that whatever sensation you may feel, chances are, you had most of the say in that matter. I am going to go out on a limb and venture to assume that most of us take for granted, on a daily basis, that freedom of religion is alive and well here today in the U.S. of A. What we also, generally, fail to realize, is that each human in this country benefits from this liberty every day of every year, and that we happen to be the some of the lucky ones.

“My Stealthy Freedom” was conceived on May 3, 2014, by London-based Iranian writer Masih Alinejad. The purpose of this online movement is to display pictures that have been sent in to the Facebook page and blog by Iranian women with uncovered heads. An Iranian woman not donning a hijab has technically been against Iranian law since 1979, after the Islamic Revolution. The hijab represents female modesty, as well as placing significance on a woman’s mind, not necessarily her body. While it may be argued that this reasoning could potentially promote education and strong female personalities, an issue presents itself when looking at the religious demographics of Iran. While the Muslim population of Iran reached 99.4 percent in 2009, there are those who do not identify with this religion or do not wish to practice the traditional rules. In these cases, it becomes essentially unnecessary for women to wear a hijab. “My Stealthy Freedom” gives women a place to virtually explore their freedom and self-expression.

One of the most beautiful concepts stemming from this movement, however, is the population of men involved in the protest. On MSF’s Facebook page, there are hundreds of photographs depicting men with women, hair uncovered, supporting the decision of women choosing whether to cover their heads or not. What I believe we, as Americans, can draw from this collaboration is the equal willingness of both sexes to reach a level of equality together. The focus of this movement is not women putting down men for having a right to choose their “hairstyle,” nor men shaming women for attempting to take a leap in their independence. What is being demonstrated is the idea of people working together to reach a level of overall respect and support for each other, in a world where these qualities seem to be lacking more and more each day.

So the next time you reach for that stylish beanie that your significant other seems to hate, your favorite bandana or that hair dryer for your free-flowing locks, remember- this seemingly simple decision in itself is more of a freedom than some humans will ever know or experience. Just because we have the privilege of worshipping and accessorizing as we please, does not mean that we should overlook the fact that many people are still fighting for this underrated right. We must support, stand by and raise each other up, so that freedom can be experienced by all of those who qualify. The qualifications? Merely being a human.

– Article by Elyse Jost –

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]