Crimson View chef debuts national award winning dish

A national award-winning dish is the new special at the Crimson View Restaurant located in the Union.

On Friday, Sept. 18, apprentice and current head chef of Crimson View, Cassie Kelsch presented “Bison Trio.” The dish is named for the three ways the steak is cooked and will have an impact on the national stage, as well as at the U.

Kelsch participated in the National Association of College and University Food Services (NACUFS) 2015 “Culinary Challenge,” where her gourmet buffalo flank steak won first place. The event took place in Indianapolis, IN., and contestants competed for a cash prize and the opportunity to meet corporate and executive chefs from across the nation.

According to NACUFS’s website, participants are allowed 100 minutes to prep, cook and plate four full entrées in front of a live audience of industry insiders. Chefs compete alone and are required to use a certain ingredient, which, this year, was buffalo.

Peter Hodgson, certified executive chef, said Kelsch’s dish is very intricate and, depending on its popularity, the award-winning entrée might be kept as a reccurring special on the Crimson View menu.

“She took the bison flank steak and reinvented it,” Hodgson said.

Kelsch said her biggest challenge was nerves, but after sacrificing countless nights and weekends practicing, it became “second nature” when she actually competed.

For Kelsch, culinary arts have been a lifelong passion. A graduate of Manila High School, Kelsch participated in Prostart, a culinary arts program through the Utah Restaurant Association, which aims to get students field experience working with mentors. She was also on the Prostart Culinary team and was captain for two of the three years, where they went to state competitions and won various awards.

Kelsch plans on beginning culinary school at UVU in 2016.

“Cassie [Kelsch] is proof that it doesn’t matter where you are from, if you have the passion and the ability,” Hodgson said.

Kelsch, a national champion at 18 years old, said her advice to aspiring students is to go in with the right kind of attitude.

“Always stay positive,” Kelsch said. “It’s a lot of work, but it pays off in the end.”

@BeauHart13