PTC’s “Fiddler on the Roof” Mirrors a Tradition of Excellence

This past Friday night Pioneer Theatre Company kicked off its 2015-2016 season with the spellbinding and timeless classic “Fiddler on the Roof.” The show mirrors PTC’s year-in and year-out efforts of putting out high-caliber productions that have enthralled audiences for decades. It is fitting that PTC chose to open their season with “Fiddler on the Roof,” which was originally produced in 1964, just a few years after PTC opened its doors.

Tradition was in the air and on the tips of everyone’s tongues as the cast of “Fiddler” opened the play with a rousing rendition of the aptly named classic “Tradition,” a song that has touched and inspired audiences for decades. The cast did a marvelous job of bringing to life a stirring ballad that brilliantly fuses unique Jewish history and culture through song and dance.

Karen Azenberg, the artistic director of PTC, masterfully brings “Fiddler” to life with captivating choreography and skillful direction which, combined with a beautifully designed set, sweeps the audience into the quaint Russian village of Anatevka. Azenberg manages to delight audiences with the clever, catchy tunes the musical is famous for but still stays true to the powerful narrative that “Fiddler” delivers of tolerance, tradition and changing times.

What makes “Fiddler” a timeless masterpiece is not just the wonderful music but the story it tells of Tevye, played by Michael Thomas Holmes, who is faced with a barrage of tradition-breaking daughters who choose true love over matchmaking. This forces Tevye to adapt to changing times and choose between the love of his family and honoring his religious tradition. Despite being over 50 years old, the story of Fiddler is as relevant today as it was when it was written. The seemingly impossible task of balancing tolerance and tradition that Tevye faces is a tale that is as old as time and yet refreshingly relevant in our own turbulent modern world.

Despite a deep and thought-provoking storyline, at heart Fiddler is about entertaining through song and dance. The cast of Fiddler more than meets the high expectations that come with staging a musical as important and culturally engaging as Fiddler. There is no better example of this than Holmes, who steals the show with his captivating and near-perfect performance in the role of Tevye. Holmes brings the skill of a seasoned stage actor with spot-on comic timing and a dramatic depth that makes it impossible not to want him as both a friend and father.

When Holmes speaks with God during his soulful soliloquies, he artfully manages to break down the imaginary fourth wall. He makes it seem like he is actually speaking to the audience, bringing a level of intimacy that makes the audience feel as though they are part of the show. When Holmes performs the popular song “If I Were a Rich Man,” he doesn’t just sing it — he brings it to life.

Holmes, along with the direction of Azenberg, create an atmosphere that makes “Fiddler” seem fresh despite its history. Based on the response of a more-than-satisfied audience, the show met the expectations of even the most critical fan while gaining new fans in the process. PTC’s production of “Fiddler on the Roof” is the perfect way to open yet another theatrical season of imagination through this stirring and heartwarming performance.