Mayoral Candidates Becker and Biskupski Discuss Housing, Public Transit in Hinckley Debate

Salt Lake City mayoral candidates Ralph Becker and Jackie Biskupski debated transportation, air quality and the economy Tuesday at the Hinckley Institute of Politics.

Becker, the current mayor of Salt Lake City, is seeking reelection to a third term. Biskupski, who has worked under Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder for the past eight years, thinks it’s time for new leadership. Both candidates have previously served in the Utah House of Representatives.

Jason Perry, vice president of Government Relations at the U and interim director of the Hinckley Institute, moderated the debate, which focused heavily on the financial state of Salt Lake City.

Biskupski said Becker has ignored underdeveloped areas within the city and not brought in enough affordable housing. Becker responded by pointing out several initiatives he’s spearheaded to improve housing and the economy, including an agreement with Google Fiber in Salt Lake City.

The candidates answered student questions on transit with Becker calling for expanded rail lines at the U and an increased accessibility to bike lanes. Biskupski thinks more community input is needed before transit systems are rearranged. Both championed air quality improvement through transportation initiatives.

If elected, Biskupski, Utah’s first openly homosexual member of the state legislature, hopes to embrace the diversity found in Salt Lake City. During the debate she pointed to the portraits hanging around the Hinckley Institute caucus room of the past directors (dominantly white males): “Who does it mirror? Who does it not mirror? We want everyone to be represented.”

Becker said he was proud to be a graduate of the U and complimented the football team: “We’re number three in the country. Go Utes!”

The Salt Lake City mayoral election will be held at polling locations on Nov. 3.

Felicity Henderson, a junior in communication and Asian studies, said the debate was helpful in informing her vote.

“The mayor can make a lot of decisions that can affect me,” she said.

Henderson hoped the candidates would discuss Planned Parenthood, an issue relevant to her and many of her peers, but the debate did not cover that topic or anything concerning reproductive care.

Kelton Ekblad, a senior in political science, thought the debate was calm and civilized, describing it as “very amicable, not super lively.” He wishes, though, that the candidates spoke more on bringing small business to Salt Lake City.

The debate was part of the Hinckley Institute’s ongoing forum series “Pizza and Politics.” The goal is to increase political activity and awareness at the U and surrounding communities. Previous guests have included Bill Clinton and Mitt Romney.

@mbatman72