Teacher, Student, Veteran: Rich Stowell Receives Award from U

Rich Stowell is a soldier, author and graduate student, as well as the U’s newly named “Student Veteran of the Year.”

Stowell’s life has been consumed by the military since his enlistment in the National Guard in 2007. He blogs about veteran issues, studies military affairs from an academic standpoint and remains in the army reserves to this day.

“It’s almost everything,” he said. “It’s like when you join the military you just get immersed in it, whether you like it or not.”

Prior to joining the National Guard, Stowell worked as a high school teacher. But in 2007, around the time former President George W. Bush called for an increase in troops, he decided to enlist. That summer he went to basic training at Fort Sill in Oklahoma, and the next summer he underwent advanced training in military journalism at Fort Meade in Maryland.

rich stowell

While in training, Stowell never fully believed he would be sent to Iraq, despite being told he would repeatedly by his superiors. In December 2008, he found himself deployed to Kosovo, in southeastern Europe, where he remained for a year.

Upon his return to the United States, Stowell continued his teaching career but altered his method to incorporate lessons he learned in the service.

“I found myself thinking a lot like a soldier would think in the classroom,” he said.

Stowell began his doctoral work in communication at the U in 2011, where he continued to unite academia and military matters. Along with being a soldier, student, writer and teacher, he is also a husband and father. He tries to compartmentalize the diverse roles he plays, but he has found his military experience seeps into all parts of his life.

rich stowell 2

In March 2014 Stowell was deployed to Afghanistan for nine months, and his wife, Esther, virtually became a single mom to their two children. While away, it was not the “love of adventure or chance to do exciting things” that motivated him to pull through, he said, but love for his family.

Stowell’s wife nominated him for the Student Veteran of the Year award in mid-October, and he found out he had won a couple of weeks later.

When he first received the news, “I was real excited, and my wife was really, really excited,” Stowell said.

The excitement faded after a few seconds and was replaced by humility. He felt “so insignificant” compared to other veterans and “like I didn’t deserve it,” he said.

At the ceremony where Stowell was honored on Nov. 11, a dozen other veterans were also recognized and given medals. He said the program placed more focus on veterans on campus as a whole rather than on him, which humbled him further as he heard about the accomplishments and experiences of the other members of the armed forces.

Stowell was chosen as the Student Veteran of the Year out of 11 qualified candidates. Roger Perkins, director of the Veterans Support Center, said Stowell won not simply because of his time spent in active duty, but because he “makes the steps to educate the non-veteran population on the veteran culture.”

The award highlights a “well-rounded individual” in order to disprove negative stereotypes about veterans, Perkins said.

Despite his apprehensions, Stowell is pleased to have won the award, as it coincides with his work to highlight and aid veterans, and he plans to continue his military career.

“I’ll stay in the National Guard as long as they’ll let me,” he said.

@sarahnlegg