Make Your Way to Higher Ground

Make Your Way to Higher Ground

If you’re looking for a great spot to study, hang out with friends or find your new favorite roast, Higher Ground Coffee is the place to be. I stumbled upon the comforting location on a snowy night last month while driving aimlessly around on 2000 East. I decided I needed some late-night caffeine and stopped in.

The tiny business has a homey feel, with wooden décor, eclectic lamps and other furniture, with a rustic accent created by using coffee bags as ceiling and floor decoration.

Higher Ground was established six years ago, when the house-like kitchen/store was bought and converted into the local distribution center. Higher Ground uses Rimini, a local Salt Lake City roaster as their main coffee supplier. Their hours are 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Saturday, and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sundays, and is located on the corner of 2000 East and 3300 South.

Along with being a phenomenal spot for coffee and tea, Higher Ground also caters to those searching for a more substantial bite to eat. Soups, pastries, sandwiches — there is a wide variety of meals to choose from, created in the tiny, adorable kitchen space in the back. They also sell labeled water bottles, thermoses and other carrying devices for hot and cold beverages.

What astonished me most about the cute coffee cabana was not its wide display of upcoming public shows and venues, nor its delicious dark roast, but the display of local art. Multiple paintings, prints and designs of nature-focused works hang on the bathroom walls, all done by local artists, all for sale, as well as knit gloves, ear muffs and hats near the cash register.

Whether you’re searching for a cozy place to study, your new signature winter drink or merely searching for a holiday gift for a friend, Higher Ground Coffee is your next stop.