U Urges Students to Look for Lesser-Known Scholarships to Fund Tuition

Many students only look at the merit and need-based options when applying for financial aid.

However, by digging through their college’s website, such as the College of Social and Behavioral Science, or looking at on campus resource centers, they may find other scholarships that are often overlooked.

An example of a scholarship niche, specifically for students who are studying a language, rests in the Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Resource Center.

“Over the years, our FLAS recipients have come from nearly 40 different majors,” said Kevin Barrett, scholarship coordinator for the U’s Asia Center and Center for Latin American Studies. “All kinds of students have been able to make time in their schedules to include foreign language and area studies courses.”

FLAS has been awarding scholarships through the Asian Center since 2010 and through the Center for Latin American Studies since 2014. Any students studying a language can apply for a FLAS scholarship for the summer or academic year. Typically 10 students are given scholarships during the summer and 30 during the regular academic year. Forty-five students earned scholarships this year.

“Knowledge of foreign languages and area studies is very important for students,” Barrett said. “Especially those who want to work in any kind of international career. FLAS scholarships provide financial incentive for students to include these types of courses in their studies.”

The scholarship pays for tuition (up to $10,000) and, depending on the major, an undergraduate student can study abroad in any country listed on the FLAS site, such as Vietnam or Morocco, for up to $5,000. Graduate students receive a little more: $18,000 for tuition and a $15,000 stipend for study abroad. Summer applicants receive a little less: $5,000 towards tuition and a $2,500 stipend.

“We are encouraging students to study the lesser known languages,” said Taunya Dressler, assistant dean of undergraduate affairs in the College of Humanities. “If you’re a student who has background at all in lesser-known languages and are in your second year of study, you have a great chance in getting in.”

Languages that are considered “lesser-known” include Cambodian, Persian, Urdu or any indigenous Latin American language.

Another more obscure scholarship is the Steffensen Cannon Scholarship. Sarah Terry, a recipient of the funds, is a freshman in pre-business. She suggests that other students search for these financial aid options.

“There are so many different people that really want to help,” Terry said, “but sometimes you have to dig to find them.”

The deadline for FLAS is Jan. 1. Visit latin-american-studies.utah.edu/flas/index.php or asia-center.utah.edu/flas/index.php for more information.

“Searching for scholarships is so important,” Dressler said. “There is a tendency for U students to choose working over obtaining debt, but applying towards any scholarships, from resource centers to departments, is important because they will have more time to study.”

@chriswritine