Women’s Basketball: A Few Bright Spots Stand Out in a Tough Loss

Dane Goodwin
Sophomore Tanaeya Boclair (32) drives against the Fort Louis defense in an exhibition game at the Huntsman center on 6 Nov 2015.

Losing streaks aren’t fun. Losing streaks at home are even worse. Sunday afternoon’s matchup against the visiting UCLA Bruins was the game the Utes hoped would stop the bleeding. After a disappointing performance against USC Friday night, Utah came out Sunday swinging.

Through three quarters of play Utah controlled the game, leading the Bruins 51-43 heading into the final period. But, as the saying goes, pressure makes dust or diamonds, and unfortunately for Utah, UCLA’s All-American Nirra Fields was the diamond.

Fields, who came into Sunday’s contest averaging just over 16 points per game, couldn’t buy a bucket through the opening three quarters. Heading into the final period, Fields had nine points on a bitter shooting and was 1-of-10 from the floor.

In the fourth quarter she suddenly looked like she had touched the ball containing the basketball talents stolen by the Nerdlucks in “Space Jam.” In 10 minutes of fourth quarter play, Fields put up 17 points on 5-of-8 shooting and lead UCLA to a 69-63 win.

What really makes this loss tough to swallow is the losing streak. Had Utah not lost its last four prior to the game, maybe they wouldn’t feel too upset about this performance. For three quarters Utah vastly outplayed UCLA, the 15th ranked team in the nation.

Instead of focusing on the past games and past performances, head coach Lynne Roberts is focusing on the future and what her team can improve on.

“I could care less about a winning streak or losing streak right now,” Roberts said. “Every time we put on a uniform we want to win, but this season is not about outcome. This season is about continuing to improve and establishing our culture and our culture is outworking you, rebounding, team energy, bench energy and those things are happening. I want to get ready to play Colorado on Thursday and get better and let these players reap the rewards of how hard they’re getting after it.”

One positive from Sunday’s game may have come midway through the second quarter when both Utah centers were subbed out due to foul trouble. Emily Potter picked up two fouls in the first quarter and backup Joeseta Fatuesi picked up her second foul halfway through the second period, forcing Roberts to get creative.

At the six minute mark of the second quarter Fatuesi checked out and Roberts rolled out a small lineup of Dani Rodriguez, Malia Nawahine, Katie Kuklok, Tanaeya Boclair and Paige Crozon. The unfamiliar lineup immediately rattled off a 10-3 run.

While the lineup came mostly out of necessity, and was just dead even in the plus/minus column, it shouldn’t surprise anyone if Roberts uses it in the future.

“[They were in] foul trouble and Jo was tired,” Roberts said. “You can’t put Potter back in that situation so I just went small and it got us to halftime. It’s a little small, it’s not ideal, but it got us to halftime.”

Another positive for Utah was Kuklok’s resurgence. In Utah’s previous four games, Kuklok was just 2-of-10 from three compared to her 43 percent three-point shooting clip for the season as teams are scouting Kuklok and keying in on her. Opponents are shy to leave her on help defense and when she gets the ball they are playing her tight, making her put the ball on the floor to make a play.

Against UCLA, Kuklok shot 3-of-9 from deep, stretching out the UCLA defense. A couple of those threes came a few feet behind the arc, something she works on during the week.

“I do practice them,” Kuklok said. “Its definitely [all] the defense was giving me tonight.”

Utah will look to bounce back and earn a win against the Colorado Buffs, who are 0-9 in conference play, this Thursday before hitting the road to face them again in Boulder.

@westinjay