Head to Head: How Valuable Are Fine Arts Requirements?

Kiffer Creveling
Students attend the University of Utah’s Annual Arts Bash on the Marriot Library Plaza on campus, Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Head to Head: Fine Arts Courses Fail to Hit the Intended Target

by Jack Porter

Here’s how the U describes fine arts courses: “Such courses explore the world through diverse aesthetic viewpoints and practices and seek to foster critical and creative interpretations of artistic expression. These courses help students develop critical, creative and interpretive skills needed to function in an increasingly diverse world and contribute to society as educated and informed citizens.”

I agree — fine arts courses should achieve this goal. As we become more talented in specific art forms, we do improve our capacity to imagine what isn’t there, to think with greater critical insight and to push our limits on what can and can’t be done. By improving a particular skillset we discover a new range of categories that can change how we approach problems outside the field of art.

However, very few fine arts classes actually hit this target.

Broadening of the mind can only happen once you cross a certain threshold. It takes years of practicing drawing before you’re able to think in terms of drawing. It’s not something you just discover in art class and then can execute on command anywhere else. And herein lies the problem with assigning fine arts as a required credit in our Gen Ed requirements. The majority of classes that actually count as fine arts credits are almost exclusively introductory classes with no focus on developing “critical, creative, interpretive skills.” How could they when they’re designed for students with no understanding of the art form they’re dealing with?

What takes place in four months of learning is just the basics. At best, you’re struggling with the complexities of the art form, but you’re hardly ever dealing with developing a more creative or critical mind. It’s all physical discipline. Anyone who’s taken an introduction to drawing or ceramics knows that the majority of the time is spent learning how to use the tools. It’s about training your hand to move with precision. Even music appreciation classes focus more on fine-tuning the ear. It becomes a matter of training your memory rather than developing an aesthetic understanding of music.

What should be encouraged is not a broad survey of skills that students gain but rather a sharpening of one skill. Certainly you could say that general education exists in order to prepare students for college or to help students discover hidden joys for certain subjects they otherwise would not be exposed to. But have we simply been empty shells up until this point? Cups that need to be filled with math, reading, science and arts? As if only in college are we able to truly explore a wider arrange of studies? Exploration does need to take place. There does need to be a push. We are not totally enlightened to all the possibilities, nor are we all brave enough to explore them. College can be a place to discover new capacities for art that we were previously unaware of, but there’s no need to force this upon us. Most students have taken required art classes in junior high and high school already. And what typically happens is that the students go on to forget most of what they learned and let the skill decay.

Fine arts credits should not be a necessary component of obtaining an undergraduate degree. Rather, fine arts classes should be phased into the electives portion of the general education. This would encourage students who’ve developed an interest in certain skills to pursue those skills at higher levels. If we could move past only allowing introductory classes approved as fine arts courses, then we would encourage growth in a way that actually does “foster critical and creative interpretations of artistic expression.”

Fine Arts Courses Provide Creative Outlets and Useful Skills to Students

by Elyse Jost

Trying to fit four semesters of a foreign language into my college plan has been a serious obstacle. Since I’m trying not to take the classes online, my only options are night classes or classes at otherwise strange hours. When I first broke down over the complicated schedule, I heavily resented the requirement that an English major has to take four semesters of foreign language. I mean, I’m studying English — as in, the language, the origins of English literature, analyzing English novels and poems (duh).

After calming down and realizing that, no, I will not be in college for five extra years just because of this requirement, I understood why taking French is so important. How can you fully grasp an idea if you do not put it in multiple contexts, realms or pools of thought? By taking French, not only am I reaping the benefits of learning this beautiful language, I am also honing my skills and understanding of the English language.

That said, an arts requirement for all majors is not only necessary but extremely useful for students in classes and, eventually, careers. Incorporating several learning styles, subjects and class settings can be extremely beneficial to students, especially in college.

Art was made not only to transcend social, economic and emotional barriers, but also to expand learning capabilities and mediums. If artistic children are forced to take years of math and science, why shouldn’t math- and science-oriented students take a mandatory art class?

When I say “art,” I am not only thinking of painting and drawing. I believe that at this time in their lives, college-goers can be lost, searching not only for themselves, but also for what they want to do in the world. By utilizing art as a creative outlet and a way to explore different processing centers of your own mind, you are not only gaining credits but also insights into yourself that can and will be useful later on.

Here’s a hypothetical — let’s say you’re an English major with a focus in journalism. You choose a random film class from the list of options and end up highly enjoying the ins and outs of film that you learn. You even do some of your own projects with cameras and filming outside of class. These skills can definitely be applied to your career, setting you apart from other applicants later on.

Even if you are in a major that is more liberal or focused around arts anyway, taking more classes and exploring your options can only end in decreasing your stress level, as well as allowing you to incorporate new ideas, thoughts and techniques into your own area of expertise.

Do you think students should be required to fulfill a Fine Arts requirement?

Yes
No

Poll Maker