Tunes Tuesday: The Seven Best Covers of Classic and Contemporary Jams

From ice cream to sports teams to music — everyone has their favorites. Some people like death metal, and some people like Taylor Swift, and that’s okay — to each their own. However, if you have a favorite song then you run the risk of playing it over and over until you can’t stand it anymore. Try listening to a different version of your favorite. Mix things up with these covers of classic and contemporary hits and prove that you can totally teach an old dog new tricks.

Take on Me

Reel Big Fish

Currently celebrating their 25th Anniversary, Reel Big Fish are everything you could possibly want out of a ska band. They have a ton of personality, they’re wacky and fast-paced, with a twist of unpredictability. Aha’s Take on Me, originally released in 1985, has found many different forms over the years, (including heavy metal and a capella) but Real Big Fish’s version is by far the best.

We will Become Silhouettes

The Shins

The Shins have done what The Shins do best in this cover. They kill it with the harmonies and transform a song (originally by The Postal Service) from what could only be described as “electro-indie” to acoustic, folksy and upbeat. If you don’t already have a road trip playlist, make one and add this song (and really anything else by The Shins).

Summertime Sadness

Miley Cyrus

Bear with me here — this is not in any way, shape or form to disparage Lana Del Rey. I’ll be the first to admit that never in my entire life did I think that I would be #TeamMiley in any sense, but I love her version of this song. It’s sweet, spicy and Cyrus brings her own sultry twang to it that Del Rey simply can’t. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in all the crazy, we forget Cyrus can actually sing.

Crazy

Daniela Andrade

This song is amazing. Andrade is a one-woman show, and her cover of this 10-year old classic will have you wishing you were either a singer at a nightclub or falling asleep. This song isn’t sung in the same get-your-groove-on style as the original but is more well-suited for all your rainy-day needs. Andrade has a gorgeous voice and is known mostly for the signature softness she brings to all the covers that she does.

Dancing in the Street

Mick Jagger and David Bowie

While the vocals are stronger in the original song by Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, nothing can beat a classic combination of David Bowie and Mick Jagger. Bowie, who died earlier this year, was an icon in the world of music and has been affectionately dubbed a “pop chameleon” in his online biography. This song is just one of many that showcases his quirks and talent. If you’re feeling blue, check out the goofy music video for an extra treat.

Bad Blood

Alessia Cara

Cara’s cover of “Bad Blood” by Taylor Swift is a soulful rendition of the original pop hit. Cara’s sensuous vocal bring new emotion and depth to the Swift ballad. The vocals are accompanied only by a piano, giving Cara’s unique voice a chance to steal the show. Take a listen and sail away on the melodies.

Hotline Bling But U Caint Use My Phone

Erykah Badu

If you have turned on the radio in the past few months, you are probably sick and tired of hearing Drake croon about his phone blowing up. If you fall into this category, then switch it up by listening to Erykah Badu’s rendition of the hit song. Though it is primarily a remix, it is worth the listen, as Badu’s style and vocals lend well to the cover.

@Unchained116

@kamrynlinda