Gymnastics: Red Rocks Ready For Emotional Senior Night Send-Off

Kiffer Creveling
The Women’s Gymnastics team celebrates after senior Breanna Hughes’s routine in the meet vs. The University of Arizona at the John M. Huntsman Center on Monday, February 1, 2016

Every college athlete faces a bittersweet ending to their career, as they either leave their respected programs to go pro, or move on in their lives after four years dedicating their time to their sport.

Three members of the Utah Gymnastics’ senior class will be experiencing those tear-jerking moments this weekend as they step into the Huntsman Center for the final time this season in front of the always-faithful Red Rocks fans.

All of the seniors, including Breanna Hughes, are prepping for a big night where she and fellow seniors Kailah Delaney and Kassandra Lopez will be honored for their accomplishments over the past four years.

“Senior Night will bring a lot of mixed emotions,” Hughes said. “I’m excited that I get to go in the Huntsman with the team after three weeks on the road. It will be fun to do our routines again in front of the home fans, but it will also be sad because our gymnastics careers will be coming to an end. It’s a little sad, but I’m excited at the same time.”

Delaney agrees with her fellow classmate and will be relishing every moment when they step in front of another predicted sold-out crowd.

“It’s definitely bittersweet,” Delaney said. “It will be an emotional night, but I’m really excited and will try to enjoy every second of it.”

This won’t be the last meet for the Red Rocks at the Huntsman Center. With the team punching their ticket to NCAA Regionals at the U, emotions will be running high for the three seniors, who have all had astounding careers, involving various ups and downs. This includes the start of the season, where a lot was asked of the trio.

Co-head coach Megan Marsden was supportive but hesitant with her three gymnasts at the beginning of the season, especially with the big transition year within the program.

“I know that both [co-head coach Tom Farden] and I are extremely proud of these three seniors,” Marsden said. “We didn’t know for sure what we were going to get, especially in this transition year. Those three girls were unproven a little bit because they haven’t been in a lot of lineups, and they all three dealt with injury throughout their careers. So Farden and I didn’t really know what we were going to get.”

What they got was a group of athletes who were willing to prove their doubters wrong. With team motivation, they not only defied the expectations upon them, but became proven leaders that helped the team remain in contention with the NCAA’s best.

Marsden knew they had to step up in order for this young Red Rocks team to be successful, and she felt they all blossomed into true competitors, a trait that they will use for the rest of their lives when they step out of the gym for the final time.

“We got three girls who decided that they were going to have their best year yet and decided to help lead this team even though it wasn’t in their nature,” Marsden said. “I’m just extremely proud of them, and they have blossomed in a way that I didn’t see coming, making it extra special.”

Hughes, Delaney and Lopez will all have a special place in Red Rocks folklore. This Saturday is a night for them, and even though the season isn’t over yet, every star deserves a proper sendoff.

@chad_marquez