Soccer: Utah set to compete in first round of NCAA tournament

0
6

After the Selection Show on Monday, Nov. 7, it was announced that the No. 23 Utah soccer team will host the first round of the 2016 NCAA Division I Women’s College Cup against the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

At the end of their season, the Utes finished fourth in the Pac-12 conference with a total of 22 points, which is the highest for the Utes since they joined the Pac-12 in 2011.

As they continue on in the NCAA tournament, the game against Texas Tech will mark the seventh time the Utes have appeared in the tournament, but it’s their first appearance since 2013 when the Utes lost to Texas A&M 1-0 in the first round.

This is the first meeting between the Utes and the Red Raiders, but Utah has a near-unblemished record against Big-12 schools at home, holding a 5-0-1 record on the Ute Field, and a 9-5-2 record altogether.

If the Utes manage to advance past the Red Raiders, they will move onto the second round of the College Cup, which has only happened twice, and they will either compete against No. 3 Florida State or the Pac-12 South champions Stanford.

The first round of the 2016 NCAA Division I Women’s College Cup will take place on Nov. 12 at the Ute Field. Kickoff is set to begin at 1 p.m.

e.white@dailyutahchronicle.com

@emileewhiteee

Emilee White
Emilee White has been at The Daily Utah Chronicle for over a year, and she is currently the the assistant sports editor. She started her sports writing career with SwimSwam, and she has done an internship with the Deseret News.