Art from the Attic: The 6 Sexiest Oldies Songs to Put on Your Playlist

0
19

Sex Week at the University of Utah is dedicated to safety, health and accessibility. Once you get all of those down, you’ll need some help having fun while you get down.

So here it is, my top six sexiest oldies to put a little blast from the past into your perfect night.

Let’s Get It On — Marvin Gaye 1973

It seems that this song is included in just about every campy 80s sex scene there is, so it has received a bad reputation. But have you ever wondered why it was played so much? Answer: It’s the perfect soundtrack, and I find that the overuse actually worked to its advantage. Though it may not have the same allure, the connotation of this song adds fun into a playlist. A good laugh is always a good touch.There aren’t many 70s hits boasting a shelf life quite like Gaye provides in “Let’s Get It On.” The familiar guitar introduction is enough to make anyone’s drive perk up. This song includes every ingredient for a cliché night-in, but works so smoothly

At Last — Etta James 1941

This is about as far back as it gets. Though upon initial listen, this song may seem too orchestral to be dubbed “sexy,” but the second Etta Jamess’s voice enters the stage, all bets are off. Raw jazz emotion is what puts the “umph” into this track, and placing James’s soulful vocals next to the gorgeous Mack Gordon string section is a beautiful marriage. If you’re looking for a slow jam to add to your secret playlist for when that perfect someone comes along, this should be your top pick.

Fever — Peggy Lee 1958

Once, when I was in middle school, I attended a voice recital in which one of the older girls performed this song, complete with plunging white Marilyn Monroe attire. Believe me, by the time she was finished every male face was bright red and a little sweaty.

Little Willie John originally recorded “Fever” in 1956, but Peggy Lee hit it out of the park with this cover. By adding snare drum and intense jazz bass, Lee turned up the heat in this song by 50 degrees. Her sultry powerhouse voice only added spice to the mixture. An anthem of girl power, this song brings out more hip-swinging temptation in any listener than “Hips Don’t Lie.” If you don’t love James, there are also stellar covers of “Fever” by Elvis, Michael Buble, and Queen Bey.

Somebody to Love — Jefferson Airplane 1967

If your music taste is a bit more psychedelic, look no further than Grace Slick’s “Somebody to Love.” It is ideal for revamping the energy in really any situation. Rippling guitar and frenzied singing from Slick are what put this track on my list. The rapid-fire sound brings out anyone’s wild side. Here, you’ll find passion. One can only imagine the Woodstock love stories that came from the performance of this song! On the off chance you’re turned off by the fast pace of “Somebody to Love,” I would also recommend the band’s “White Rabbit.” Although the subject matter is a little less sensual so it took the back seat for me, the pulsing instrumentals are plenty to set the mood.

Miss You — The Rolling Stones 1978

Where do I even begin? This song opens with killer synthesizer riffs that have no better word to describe them than “sexy.” And although Mick Jagger is not exactly a heartthrob of a lead singer in looks, he undeniably makes up for it with his raspy and racy voice. There is just something about his laid-back “bad-boy” sound that is insanely exciting.

The background of this song is what really makes it for me, however. It’s subtle, but the bass adds the perfect touch of jazz to this song to bring that Peggy Lee groove back into the game. The backup singers are equally- if not more- soulfully sexy than Jagger himself. The crooning choruses get stuck in your head, and once you’ve listened to this track, if you didn’t do a sexy dance around the room to it, you’re lying.

Get Down Make Love — Queen 1977

The title and theme of this song are mere coincidences, because for me it’s all about sound. Though admittedly, the lyrics to this song are remarkably salacious ($10 word for sexiest of all time). Again, the bass and guitar are enough here to get anyone going. But what this track has that no others did is piano. It’s incredibly difficult to make such a classical instrument sound raw and enticing, but somehow Queen manages it. Finally, let’s talk about Freddy Mercury’s voice. Equally as racy as Jagger’s, Mercury takes it to the next level with pure emotion in his vocals so that “get down, make love” is all you want to do.

m.hulse@dailyutahchronicle.com

@megshulse

Megan Hulse
Megan Hulse has been with The Daily Utah Chronicle since the fall of 2015 and is currently the Social Media Manager for Student Media. She is also working as an intern for the Deseret News and as a contributor to the Chronicle Arts Desk.