Unite Claims ASUU Executive Positions by 19 Votes

Brad Bennion
ASUU Vice President-elect for University Relations Zoe Kozlowski speaks at the second ASUU debate on Wednesday, March 1, 2017 alongside President-elect Zach Berger and Vice President-elect for Student Relations Saeed Shihab.

With a narrow lead of 0.5 percent over ACT party, Unite won ASUU elections on Friday after receiving approximately 35 percent of the vote. Of the 32,061 students enrolled at the University of Utah, 3,444 students voted online, which is a 10.7 percent voter participation rate. According to current ASUU president Jack Bender, this is that largest voter turnout that the organization has record for.

Unite party led the polls with 1,199 votes, 19 more than the second-place candidate, ACT, and exceeded Precision by 134 votes. Led by President-elect Zach Berger, Unite was confident in their student-focused platform but feels fortunate to have won.

“We always had a good chance of winning, but the other two parties were just as qualified and had great candidates,” said Berger.

The party’s platform says they plan to “revitalize campus events, foster a sense of safety and security in our community, and facilitate student involvement by publicizing opportunities to get involved and develop relationships with student organizations.”

In the second debate, Unite said their proposals include combining ASUU’s two annual concerts into one big show, organizing a campus-wide tailgate and showing movies at Rice Eccles Stadium. They also plan to host town hall-style meetings to gather student input.

Unite aims to help students achieve by creating a streamlined web page for students to find clubs, jobs and internships. They want to go beyond student success, though, to improve student safety and wellness. Unite intends to increase funding for bystander intervention training and find ways to increase access to counseling.

Along with Vice President-elect of University Relations Zoe Kozlowski and Vice President-elect of Student Relations Saeed Shihab, Berger said his first order of business is to build a diverse and qualified cabinet to carry out their campaign goals.

The appointed executive cabinet consists of 17 students who are responsible for numerous boards and committees during a term that lasts for one year.  These groups represent various interests ranging from sustainability to marketing.

Although it has only been a few days since the election subsided, Berger is already preparing to take office in May.

“When I heard the results, initially I couldn’t believe it,” Berger said. “I was really excited, but then I realized it’s time to get to work.”

The full elections outcomes, including those for senate and assembly seats, can be viewed on ASUU’s website. Unite will fill any unoccupied seats through an application process.

ASUU SENATE

Architecture and Planning

Connor Roach

Business

Chandler Dean

Cultural and Social Transformation

No candidates

Dentistry

Melanie Barber

Education

Oliver Anderson

Engineering

Chase Peterson

Fine Arts

No candidates

Health

Alyssa Lamb

Humanities

Rebecca Walker

Law

Carley Herrick

Medicine

Trevor Annis

Mines and Earth Science

Nathan Ong

Nursing

No candidates

Pharmacy

Michael Stapley

Science

Kaitlin McLean
Eric Reece

Social and Behavioral Science

Summer Mikkelsen
Cole McCubbins

Social Work

Abigail Stover

Academic Advising Center (University College)

No candidates

ASUU ASSEMBLY

Architecture and Planning

No candidates

Business

Abby Lydens
Spencer Shuppy

Cultural and Social Transformation

No candidates

Dentistry

McCall McCord

Education

No candidates

Engineering

Abhi Harikumar
Eric Komperud
Erika Feten
Haley Feten
Mitchell Kirkham
YoungJae Shin

Fine Arts

Christina Bargelt

Health

Amanda Goodner

Humanities

Broderick R. Sterrett
Caitlin Silianoff
Chelsea Sather
Noah Hughes

Law

No candidates

Medicine

No candidates

Mines and Earth Science

No candidates

Nursing

No candidates

Pharmacy

Taryn Dorius

Science

Erin Carroll
Kasra Rahmati
Michael Xiao

Social and Behavioral Science

AnnaMarie Barnes
Connor Morgan
Howie Huynh
Kobe Cornelison

Social Work

No candidates

Maggie Bielefeld