Baseball: All-Pac-12 Honors Earned by Six Utes

0
131
Sophmore DaShawn Keirsey Jr. (21) during the University of Utah Baseball game against Washington State at Smith's Ballpark, Salt Lake City, UT, 4/29/17. Photo by Adam Fondren/Daily Utah Chronicle

It was announced yesterday that center fielder DaShawn Keirsey Jr., pitcher Jayson Rose and third baseman Dallas Carroll were selected by the league’s coaches to the All-Pac-12 team for the second-straight season.

Keirsey Jr. who was injured in the final game of the season finished his year with a .327 batting average and he had 39 runs scored along with nine stolen bases to rank him No. 2 on the team in both categories. The sophomore also tied for third place in the Pac-12 in triples with five and he also tallied 71 hits to rank him No. 11 in the conference.

Rose, a junior who is draft eligible, earned eight wins over the season to tie him for the No. 4 spot in the league. Rose was ranked No. 7 in the conference with 82 strikeouts to his name. He had a 3.35 ERA that ranked him No. 11 and he held his competition to a .241 batting average that ranked him No. 9 overall.

Carroll has finished his time at Utah, but not before ending his final college year on a high note. During the regular season Carroll was hitting .369, and with 52 RBI’s, he ranked No. 4 in the conference in both categories. A .591 slugging percentage and .465 on-base percentage ranked Carroll No. 2 in the league.

Both Keirsey Jr. and Carroll were named to the All-Defensive Team. This was Keirsey Jr.’s second straight season being selected.

Three seniors also earned honorable mention honors. Pitcher Dylan Drachler, first baseman Hunter Simmons and shortstop Ellis Kelly.

b.colindres@dailyutahchronicle.com

@Britt_Colindres

Brittni Meservy
Brittni Meservy is in her second year with The Daily Utah Chronicle where she began as a sports writer and now serves as the sports editor. She has interned at ABC 4 Utah in the sports department, and she was previously the Editor-in-Chief of The Globe at Salt Lake Community College. Currently, she is a producer and reporter at ESPN 700 radio.