Diabetes Resource Center Opens

By Fred Thaller

If you build it, they will come! And come they did yesterday to the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the opening of the new Utah Diabetes Center in Research Park.

A host of dignitaries and U officials showed up to celebrate the opening of U Health Science Center’s newest crown jewel.

Mayor Rocky Anderson had planned to be there to help 4-year-old diabetic Megan Loutensock and several others cut the ribbon, but he was unable to make it due to a scheduling conflict. He sent a spokesman from his office, Jay Mugare, to stand in for him.

“Two things stand out here today with the opening of this center. One is the research opportunities available here, and the other is that 116,000 Utahns have diabetes,” Magure said. “I urge all Utahns to take the test and know your score.”

Dr. Lorris Betz, senior vice president for health sciences, welcomed everyone to the ceremony.

“This is truly a comprehensive facility where everything is under one roof,” Betz said. “While there is still no cure for diabetes, this center is the next-best thing.”

Rick Fullmer, CEO of the U Hospital and Clinics, said that the new center is truly a “one-stop” shop.

“This center is an adult and pediatric facility. All researchers here are on the cutting edge in their fields,” Fullmer said. “They will work with our patients and their families in delivering comprehensive care. There will be no more patients falling through the cracks.”

Lt. Gov. Olene Walker read a proclamation signed by Gov. Mike Leavitt on March 19, recognizing March 23 to 30 as Utah Diabetes Alert Week and March 27 as Utah Diabetes Awareness Day. She said diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States.

“I hope the citizens of Utah understand how fortunate we are to have the level of health care we do,” Walker said. “No other state has the outstanding levels of care that we do, and this new center is just one more example of that.”

Dr. John Hoidal, chief of the department of internal medicine, said education is really the cornerstone of diabetes care.

“This center will be a real outreach facility bringing diabetes education to people throughout the state and region,” Hoidal said. “People need to know about the risks of diabetes. More than half the people who have it don’t know it. And certain ethnic groups are more at risk, Pacific Islanders and American Indians, among others.”

Dr. James Bale, vice chair of research for the department of pediatrics, said the United States faces an epidemic of diabetes that crosses all socio-economic and ethnic strata.

“It’s time to respond to this problem,” Bale said. “Many resources are integrated here at the center to provide seamless care to our patients.”

The center’s first annual 5K run and fun walk kicked off this week’s activities on Saturday. According to Ara Serjoie, development director for the center, 140 people turned out for the event.

“We were shocked and surprised. We thought maybe 50 people might show since this was our first year,” Serjoie said. “We’re looking foreword to an even bigger turnout next year. This will be an annual event for us.”

The ribbon-cutting ceremony was part of an open house Wednesday that featured tours of the new facility, the only diabetes resource of its kind in the Intermountain West that provide comprehensive diabetes care through all stages of a patient’s life.

The center offers patient care, education, nutrition and exercise instruction and social services. It is located at 615 Arapeen Dr.