No Utes for you! In all its benevolent wisdom, the NCAA has explained what racism is to American Indian tribes

By Eric Vogeler

In a splendid show of political correctness-yet intuitively absurd administration-the NCAA has once again proven its inability to do the right thing.

Recently, the governing body of collegiate athletics came down hard against universities that use “hostile and abusive racial/ethnic/national origin mascots, nicknames or imagery,” essentially banning the use of those mascots and nicknames at postseason and tournament events.

The message? Change your names, or face the consequences.

The offenders? Among some of the schools was our own beloved institution-singled out for adopting Utes as a nickname.

The university and the Ute tribe-for which the school’s sports teams are nicknamed-have long maintained a mutual trust in regards to the usage of “Ute,” meeting, debating and working together more than once over the years on the issue. That’s apparently no longer good enough.

Nope.

In the infinite wisdom of the NCAA, despite the tribe’s support and approval of Utah’s appropriate use of their name, this wanton, “hostile” abuse of a people and its traditions will not be tolerated.

So what if the actual leader of the Ute tribe, Irene Cuch, can often be seen at home football and basketball games, wearing, of all things, a “Runnin’ Utes” sweater?

In fact, last I checked, no one has raised the issue since 1996, when at the tribe’s request, the U changed its mascot from a Ute to “Swoop,” the red-tailed hawk.

Apparently, the NCAA is finding it necessary to step in and tell the Ute Tribe that, yes, they are being abused by the U.

The NCAA’s position is that it is outrageous for an institution of higher education to stoop so low as to use the name of a people to represent their athletics programs.

Unless, of course, you pick an OK “racial/ethnic/national” group-like Notre Dame’s Fightin’ Irish, Wyoming’s Cowboys, USC’s Trojans, UNLV’s Runnin’ Rebels, and San Diego State’s…Aztecs?

Yep, all exempt from the 18-school list.

Apparently because no Aztecs currently exist, San Diego State came out of the PC tussle with a clean nose.

I’m afraid that if PETA jumps on this bandwagon, any schools with nicknames considered abusive to cougars, cows, roosters, gators, cats, frogs, dogs or badgers might find themselves in the same hot water.

Watch out, BYU! You’re next…

Now, I don’t want to make light of what could be a serious matter, especially if a nickname or mascot offends a particular group of people.

In this case, however, that just isn’t so.

The NCAA’s ruling comes down from a group of disinterested, disconnected businessmen, without involvement from the groups affected by the ruling.

After years of debate, compromise, progress, and a proud, rich tradition, the NCAA has once again put its too-intrusive foot down where it should not.

It has been an honor to have the great Ute people symbolize the spirit and mission of University of Utah athletics-but sadly, that honor appears to be on the cusp of being stolen away.

The University of Utah, longtime home to the Runnin’ Utes, may have to exchange its athletic moniker for a less “hostile and abusive” name.

Maybe something more…inanimate.

Who’s up for the University of Utah Raging Mountains?