Former student stalks U professor

By Michael McFall, Staff Writer

Some students take a genuine liking to their teachers. Others take it a step too far.

According to a police report filed in May 2007, a student who was last registered for classes at the U during the Spring Semester 2007 has been stalking a photography professor. The professor believes that was the same year the student graduated.

However, a year later, the professor first reported to campus police that the student had been stalking him.

The student left the professor numerous inappropriate phone messages and visited the professor’s home. The professor sent her away and locked the door, but, according to a police report, neighbors said she remained outside the professor’s home for another several hours.

On another occasion, she left the professor an invitation to join her at her apartment for a glass of wine.

“She took a fascination to (the professor), and she asked him to do things that he just didn’t want to do,” said Capt. Lynn Mitchell of the U Police Department.

The professor responded to an e-mail sent to him, telling her she had to stop and that her advances were inappropriate. She finally complied with the professor’s request, but later left a note saying that the professor could not “leave things the way they are,” and requested that they meet.

Officer Denice Bradfield said she contacted the suspected stalker and told her not to make any further contact with the professor, and that if she did, the professor would file criminal charges against her for stalking. According to Bradfield, she agreed.

Bradfield also left the professor a voice mail, telling the professor to keep a copy of the suspected stalker’s note and leave the original note for campus detectives.