Notebook: Punt situation needs rectifying

By Chris Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

Juggling act

If you confused the Ute punt returners with circus performers during Saturday’s game against Utah State, your mind was on the right track.

After head coach Kyle Whittingham said John Peel had “solidified” himself as the Utah punt returner after the Utes’ 42-21 win over UNLV, Peel heard crickets Saturday in Logan. After the U defense forced the Aggies into a three-and-out to start the game, Peel saw the sky-high punt go right through his hands and recovered by Utah State, leading to a 7-0 start for the Aggies. Peel saw his second attempt at fielding punts also go up in smoke8212;potentially for the season8212;after he bobbled, but eventually recovered his second try.

“Special-teams wise, we really had a solid performance in the three phases, but was overshadowed by an embarrassing punt-return performance,” Whittingham said at his Monday press conference. “It was the worst punt return performance since I’ve been here.”

Next up came Jereme Brooks. It was much of the same after Brooks juggled and lost a fumble, falling onto it before converging Aggies could get to it.

Following Brooks, in what Whittingham dubbed a “fiasco” returning effort, was Brent Casteel. Although Casteel didn’t muff a punt, the Utes did commit a turnover after one particular third-quarter punt took an awkward bounce and hit Justin Jones’ foot8212;leading to another Aggie fumble recovery.

Now that the trio of Peel, Brooks and Casteel have been tried on for size, it’s time for a new threesome to get their shot in no man’s land for the Utes.

Whittingham rolled off names such as Aiona Key, kickoff returner David Reed and backup strong safety Terrell Cole as possibilities for this week’s game against Air Force.

“We’re back to square one with punt returns,” Whittingham said.

Preparing for the cadets

Yeah, the Utes avenged themselves against UNLV.

Consider this week as revenge game No. 2.

After last year’s home-opener loss to the Falcons, a game in which Tommy Grady and Darrell Mack made their first collegiate starts, the Utes are keen on proving themselves against the Air Force option-based attack.

“Obviously, we didn’t play our best football,” quarterback Brian Johnson said, referring to last year’s 20-12 loss to the Falcons. “I think this team definitely remembers that, and (will) use that as extra motivation this year.”

Falcon head coach Troy Calhoun is in his second year with the program, replacing legendary Falcon coach Fisher DeBerry, but kept much of the same type of offense. Utah’s defense will be preparing for an offense that failed to complete a pass last week in a win over Houston. Quarterback Shea Smith rushed for three touchdowns and 97 yards to chip into a 380 yard rushing total by the stellar Falcon ground attack.

“I know they run the ball8212;a lot,” newly-minted defensive tackle Derrick Shelby said. “We just have to play firm defense, and we’ll be straight.”

Whittingham and the Utes have historically had troubles with Air Force and its option offense formation. In last year’s loss to Air Force, the Utes gave up 334 yards rushing, which included 113 by quarterback Shaun Carney.

“The key for us defensively, will be to play disciplined, assignment football as it is every year,” Whittingham said. “(We’re) looking forward to playing another conference game this week at Air Force.”

The Utah defense will need to be spearheaded by defensive ends Paul Kruger and Koa Misi, along with outside linebackers Stevenson Sylvester and Nai Fotu. The secondary shouldn’t expect many balls coming their way this week in the form of passes, but will certainly be called upon to slow down the clock-munching Air Force offense.

“We all have to be ready to defend the run,” strong safety Joe Dale said. “We’ll get ready to show that, as defensive backs, we can do more than just defend the pass.”

Hurricane update

Brian Johnson’s hometown of Baytown, Texas, a suburb town of Houston, was hit by Hurricane Ike last week. Johnson’s family is fine despite the ravaging storm that came whipping through the entire Gulf Coast.

“Our house has pretty much stayed intact, and school’s still out,” Johnson said. “So, my thoughts and prayers have been with them this whole time, so I know they’ll battle through it.”
Johnson’s cousin, BYU receiver Michael Reed also hails from Baytown.

“(Reed’s family) I think (Reed’s family)they got hit a little harder,” Johnson said.

Injury update

With the injuries on the defensive line, the Utes came out of last week’s 58-10 win against Utah State fairly healthy. Backup linebacker Matt Martinez suffered an unidentified bicep injury. It will be examined before any necessary measures are taken8212;if that means surgery or otherwise.

Lennie Mahler

David Reed returning a kick against UNLV. Utah hopes to use last years loss against Air Force as motivation for a win.