U hosts weekend seminar on fairy tales, folklore

By Trent Lowe, Staff Writer

If you thought fairy tales were just for children, think again.

The U hosted Metamorphoses, an international colloquium on narrative fairy tales and folklore, over the weekend, drawing scholars from various universities.

The department of languages and literature presented the forum to students and faculty, allowing them to take a closer look at the history and impact of folklore and fairy tales within society through a series of lectures Friday and Saturday.

Scholars from the United States, Canada and England were invited to share their knowledge of the topic, which ranged from an analytical discussion of Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” to the history of part-human part-animal creatures like werewolves in fairy tales and books.

Christine Jones, event organizer and a professor in the department of languages and literature, said they wanted to increase the number of discussions from last year and bring in more people.

“We did a lot more work this time by broadening our perspective to a lot of different fields,” Jones said. “We spread the word.”

The conference began three years ago as a gathering of enthusiasts to discuss various ideas of fairy tale and mythology. People would gather and meet in the living rooms of its members.

The event has gone from fewer than 10 people chatting in a home to a university-sponsored event, boasting a lineup of 30 speakers from all over the world.

“It used to be only on European fairy tales, but we’ve extended it to various forms,” Jones said.

In addition to increasing the number of lectures, organizers are looking to include dance and photography exhibitions in future years.

Gerry Esplin, a Spanish professor at the U, said the topic is an important way to understand what people were thinking at that time.

“It’s a topic that a lot of people dismiss as silly, but it’s not,” Esplin said. “There’s so much depth in it that people don’t know about because they think (fairy tales are) just for children.”

Margaret Toscano, a classics professor at the U, said fairy tales are applicable to everyone, no matter their age.

“I think that there’s a way that fairy tales speak to you on some level,” she said. “It hits a chord with something that you’re concerned about. Stories are a way of constructing ourselves, who we are.”

Organizers are looking to the future in hopes that the conference can bring an extended knowledge to the public of the importance and far-reaching effects of fairy tales.

“What we hope of this conference is that the scholars keep talking,” Jones said. “In hope that the conversation will go on.”

Lucas Isley

Brenda Lake spoke about the monstrosity of immoral women in Spanish literature during Saturdays International Colloquium on Narrative and Folklore.