Baird honored as player of the week

By Paige Fieldsted, Staff Writer

Senior middle blocker Lori Baird has earned her third and fourth honors of her career this week as she was named Collegiate Volleyball Update (CVU.com) National Player of the Week along with her Mountain West Conference Player of the Week award.

“It’s awesome. I never expected anything like that,” Baird said. “It’s a big honor.”

Baird led the Utes in all three of their games last week, tallying a total of 46 kills, 20 blocks and 10 digs.

“It’s great for Lori,” head coach Beth Launiere said. “She had a big-time performance last week and deserves to be recognized.”

While some of Baird’s recent success can be attributed to her move back to the middle from the right side, she gives her teammates some of the credit.

“The team has been passing a lot better, which allows me to get a lot more hits in the middle,” Baird said.

Baird is currently leading the Utes with 3.07 kills and 1.39 blocks per set. She is also leading the conference in blocking.

“She’s a good volleyball player,” Launiere said, “And she’s been working really hard all season.”

No conference tourney

For the first time in several years, the Mountain West Conference will not hold its usual volleyball conference tournament at the end of the regular season.

For the Utah volleyball team, this means much more weight is lent to the regular season, and every win and loss is that much more important.

“There is no free shot at the end of the season,” Launiere said. “Every match matters if we want to get back to the NCAA tournament.”

Launiere believes that three teams from the MWC could receive bids to the national tournament to be held in early December.

That means the Utes, who are currently tied for 3rd in the conference, have a good chance at getting to the national tournament.

“It’s really important that we keep winning, because we don’t get a second chance,” Launiere said.

The absence of a conference tournament could be a good thing for Utah if they continue to play well and get a invitation to the tournament.

“It’s a good thing because with no conference tournament, we have an extra week to prepare and get ready for the NCAA tournament,” Baird said.

Lucas Isley

Lori Baird was awarded both Collegiate Volleyball Update (CVU.com) National Player of the Week and Mountain West Conference Player of the Week this week.