Utes make midseason adjustments

By Paige Fieldsted, Staff Writer

The Utah women’s volleyball team is almost halfway through its season and starting back at square one. For once, that isn’t a bad thing.

With the lineup finally solidified, the Utes are focusing on some intricacies that were left out of the picture earlier in the season.

“We are going back to work on the little things that will make us stronger,” said head coach Beth Launiere.

Passing off services, the swing block and back row defense are a few of the basics the Utes are working on.

After three road wins last week and a four-game win streak overall, the success the Utes are having with their changed lineup is evident.

“It was a complete team effort,” said setter Stephanie Shardlow. “Everyone gave it their all every minute they were on the court.”

The Utah team attributes much of its success to being able to put mistakes behind it and move on with the game.

“In the Wyoming game, we dwelled on everything and really let it get to us,” said middleblocker Chelsey Sandberg. “This last week we didn’t dwell. If we got blocked, we figured out what we needed to change and didn’t let it affect us.”

The Utes are hoping to continue their success and exact revenge on the UNLV Rebels in the match at Crimson Court tonight. It was UNLV that beat the Utes last year in the Mountain West Conference championship game, and upended Utah’s chance for an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

UNLV is currently sitting just ahead of Utah in second place in the MWC8212;its only loss having come from New Mexico two weeks ago.

“They were a young team last year but they learned how to win,” Launiere said.

The Utes will have their work cut out for them if they want to continue their winning streak.

The Rebels are ahead of Utah statistically in every category except blocking, and are currently leading the conference in assists, kills, digs and holding opponents to a low-hitting percentage.

“They are not a great blocking team, but they have great floor defense,” Launiere said. “We’ll have to really be physical, move the ball around and be prepared for long rallies.”

Last week Utah faced several offense setters and will be seeing the same thing against the likes of UNLV setter Melody Nua, who has a .246 hitting percentage and 53 kills on the season.

“She is a very good setter,” Launiere said. “We are going to see that same offensiveness we saw last week again on Thursday.”

Utah’s defense has been improving steadily the past couple of weeks and should be able to contain some of the Rebels’ powerful offense with its stifling block.

“We’ve been working on a lot defense blocking in particular,” Sandberg said.

The hard work has paid off as Utah is currently leading the conference with 2.9 blocks per set.

“Our team is in a great place,” Launiere said. “Everything is flowing and we are experiencing success.”

Tyler Cobb

With the lineup set Lori Baird and the Utes will look to get some revenge against UNLV the team that beat the Utes in the MWC Championship last year.