Utes beat Lobos but win streak ends with loss to Horned Frogs

By Bryan Chouinard, Staff Writer

Not only did Fall Break end this past weekend, but so did the Utah soccer team’s three-game winning streak.

The Utes fell to TCU in Fort Worth, Texas, on Saturday night, getting blanked by the Horned Frogs 2-0. TCU took the lead in the 58th minute when freshman forward Jordan Calhoun capitalized on an open-net opportunity after Utah freshman goalkeeper Hannah Turpen was unable to hold on to the initial save.

“I think what was disappointing in this game was our lack of confidence possessing the ball,” said head coach Rich Manning.

Utah managed to get off just three shots, none of which were on goal. The offense struggled to find the rhythm it had over the team’s three-game win streak. Manning saw his squad tally eight goals during that span.

“We played two very good teams this weekend that are both tough to beat at home,” Manning said. “The most positive sign was that we were able to compete and hang in there in both games.”

Earlier in the week, the Utes traveled to Albuquerque, N.M., where freshman defender Lauren Porter continued to shine on the attacking end of the field. Porter scored the only goal of the game in the 32nd minute when senior midfielder Katy Reineke sent in a free kick that Porter was able to head into the back of the net.

“Katy floated a perfect ball into the box,” Porter said. “You couldn’t have placed it any better.”

It was Porter’s second goal in as many games and her third on the season. This wasn’t the first time Reineke and Porter hooked up to get the Utes on board. All of Porter’s goals have come off services from Reineke.

“Overall, I think we played pretty well,” Porter said. “This was kind of a slow game. New Mexico really packed it in and made it tough for us to find space and make runs.”

Porter wasn’t the only freshman to shine against the University of New Mexico. Turpen got her first career start and took advantage of the opportunity, shutting out the Lobos while making two saves.

“It was a great feeling to get out and start tonight,” Turpen said. “Our defense played really well in front of me. I think this shutout really boosts the confidence of our defense and our team a lot.”

Over the break, the Utes not only made news on the field but off it as well. Junior midfielder Kelly Isleib was honored as the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week. Isleib was honored after her performances against conference foes UNLV and San Diego State University. After those two matches were all said and done, Isleib finished the weekend with a goal and four assists.

“When Kelly is involved in the offense is when we are most dangerous,” Manning said. “Whether she is setting up other players, driving toward goal or getting on the end of one herself, she is a focal point for our attack.”

The honors continued for Isleib when she was named to the Soccerbuzz National Elite Team of the Week. She was one of 15 players in America to be honored and is the second Ute to be named to the team this year. Earlier this season, sophomore Morgan Skeen was also named to the team.

“If Kelly is receiving national recognition, it means we are being successful as a team in our attacking plan,” Manning said. “It is a good sign for us and hopefully it bodes well for our next several conference games.”

The Utes are now tied for second in the conference with TCU and boast a 3-2 MWC record.