Utes need two wins to lead MWC pack

By Bryan Chouinard, Staff Writer

With the season moving toward its end, and the conference tournament right around the corner, the Utes are looking to work out the final kinks and hit their stride at just the right time.

Utah will host its final two games at Ute Field this weekend before finishing up the regular season when it travels to take on Air Force Oct. 31.

“I feel pretty good about the way we are developing the mentality we need to be successful going forward,” said head coach Rich Manning. “That will be important as we draw closer to our last conference game of the year, and the beginning of the conference tournament.”

Currently, Utah sits tied for second in the Mountain West Conference, touting a 3-2 record within the conference. Alongside the Utes at 3-2 are TCU and UNLV. Utah took care of business at home against UNLV 3-1 earlier in the season, but fell during this weekend to the Horned Frogs in Fort Worth, Texas by a score of 2-0.

Utah was able to split the weekend road trip, however, getting the best of the Lobos in New Mexico, 1-0.

“We were able to win one and we hung in and battled in the other one, which were both positive signs,” Manning said. “We didn’t play our best soccer and we were fighting adverse conditions on the road, but we hung in there.”

The Utes will be glad when they return home this weekend to host the University of Seattle game as well as the University of Wyoming. In their past five home games, the Utes boast a record of 4-1-1. Utah hasn’t lost to a non-conference opponent at home since the team hosted nationally-ranked Georgia in the first home stand of the year. Utah also has a two-game winning streak against conference foes at home as well.

With Wyoming and Air Force left on the conference plate for the Utes, they will look to gain separation from the pack in the MWC. Currently, BYU is atop the standings with an undefeated 5-0 record in conference and the Cougars will face Air Force and Wyoming to close their conference schedule.

It will be unlikely for the Utes to be able to tie BYU for a share of the regular season conference title even if Utah wins out. While it is a very real possibility for the Utes to take care of business from here on out, it is unlikely the unbeaten Cougars will fall in both of their final two games.

What is important is that the Utes do something to separate themselves from the middle of the road in the MWC. With BYU ahead of them, and Wyoming, San Diego State University and New Mexico tied for third below them, Utah needs these final two conference wins to ensure a high slot in the conference tournament. This year, MWC will be held Nov. 5 in Las Vegas, Nev.

While there is still plenty of work to be done, Manning has seen his team come together during the course of conference play8212;something he didn’t see much of earlier in the year.

“We had a lot of changes to deal with,” Manning said. “New players and new positions, and our athletes had to try to sort it all out while playing really good competition. We have gained a lot of confidence over the last 10 games, since starting out 1-5.”

With three games left in Utah’s regular season, the Utes have the opportunity to separate themselves from the pack, and will look to do just that this Friday when the SU comes into Ute Field.

Aaron Schwendiman

Katy Reineke hopes to help the Utes win there last two home games of the season this week. Despite the many team changes this semester Utah is still confident they will finish the season strong.