Pride pet show puts pups in spotlight

By H. Rachelle Graham, Staff Writer

Dogs and other pets strutted their stuff on the runway on the Union Patio during a pet pageant Wednesday afternoon8212;one of the many activities included in the U Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Pride Week.

Cathy Martinez, director of the LGBT resource center, said the center started the dog pageant a year ago to include fun activities to go along with other more serious ones during Pride Week. This year, the event was expanded to include all pets. The different categories included the “best gender-bender pet,” “best pet ally” and “pet celebrity look-alike.”

Martinez said the center wants to include as many members of the community as possible in Pride Week events, no matter their sexual orientation.

“We do not exist in a vacuum,” she said.

Martinez said a lot of different people love their pets, so they decided to have the pet show.

Each pet had a few minutes on stage, with some doing tricks and some dressed in extravagant costumes. One dog was dressed in a silky dress with a pink flamingo toy.

“I am involved with the pet pageant because I think it is a great opportunity for people from different backgrounds to come together for the sake of their pets and realize how similar they are,” said Jessica Augustus, co-facilitator of the pageant and junior in gender studies and political science.

June Hiatt, a junior in economics and sociology, said she attended the pageant because she allies herself with the LGBT community. She entered her two dogs in the pageant wearing matching trick-or-treat shirts, one of which won the “best femme.”

“I thought this (pageant) was a good event and a lot of fun. There were cute dogs there,” Hiatt said.

Derick Empey, a senior in gender studies, said he came because he loves dogs and loves dressing up. He also came because he gets extra credit for attending the event and misses his miniature Dachshund.

Homeless pets from the Wasatch Animal Rescue, which is run out of the Yuppie Puppie pet store on 868 E. 900 South, were available for adoption during the pageant.

During Pride Week, interested students can attend events such as a hot dog eating contest, ally panel and a pride dance.

Lucas Isley

This years pet fashion show was just one of the activities the U Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Pride Week. Pets help people to realize how much they have in common despite their different backgrounds.