Utes work out the kinks

By Christopher Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

The dexterous and multifaceted Utah offense has repented.

The recurring themes of turnovers and penalties that hampered the Utes have started to slowly, but surely, fade away into oblivion and respectability.

Earlier this season, the Utes couldn’t buy a clean game. Despite the successful offensive engine chugging along, there were often several setbacks that kept the potent, versatile offense from a sure-fire explosion.

“Obviously, we had some issues with that earlier in the season,” quarterback Brian Johnson said. “But, you know, we were able to pull through.”

An issue is the perfect way to describe the off-and-on play that was the offense earlier in the season.

The season-opening win in Ann Arbor, Mich., featured a win, but three turnovers including an astounding 15 penalties resulted in 137 yards against the Utes.

The taboo subjects in regard to offensive statistics8212;turnovers and penalties8212;have saddled Johnson’s side of the ball and now that the Utes are 8-0, they are suddenly cleaning up their act.

In last week’s 49-16 smashup over Colorado State, the fumble category was a goose egg and although Johnson did throw an interception, in his defense it was a tipped pass that hung in the air for an eternity.

Junior offensive lineman Zane Beadles said the offense’s resurgence is a testament to progressing throughout the season and the team’s hard work.

Eight games into the season, the Utes have fumbled the ball 15 times and lost it seven times. After early punt return debacles that resulted in three of the seven lost, Utah lost four fumbles in the past five games.

“As far as ball security goes, we know it’s a team stat,” Beadles said. “If we’re not picking up our blocks, if we’re not picking up our blitzes, that may put pressure on Brian and that falls on us as far as ball security goes.”

With an undefeated record and four games to win to finish up a perfect season, the Utes are currently hitting their offensive strides in every aspect.

In the Oct. 11, 40-7 win over Wyoming in Laramie, Wyo., the Utah offense, though stagnant at times, walked away from a frigid and windy game unscathed in the turnover margin. The Utes had three penalties resulting in 30 yards, and they came late in the game when the victory was essentially wrapped up.

Johnson thinks the play of the offense has been coinciding with maturity, progression and a willingness to fix mistakes.

“I think it’s a testament of us just focusing in and trying to eliminate our mistakes,” Johnson said. “We got a couple of close games coming up, this being one of them. We just have to protect the football to increase the chances of winning.”

Johnson’s season has been successful so far, but that doesn’t mean there haven’t been any bumps in the road along the way. Johnson has thrown 13 touchdowns alongside seven interceptions going into the game against New Mexico on Saturday. But his performance against CSU should be a sign of things to come for the fifth-year senior quarterback.

“I thought Brian (Johnson) and the offensive line played well,” said head coach Kyle Whittingham said about the CSU game.”It’s what we have been looking for this season and we will continue to build on that.”

Despite the good words for his offense, Whittingham is still not satisfied with the team’s turnover margin8212;on both sides of the ball.

“Our turnover margin has been so-so all year long,” Whittingham said. “That is something that we need to improve upon. We need to be on the plus side of that ledger. Where we come out in turnover margin is number one in my mind.”

Erik Daenitz

Utah?s offence had a few issues at the start of the year but lineman Zane Beadles said hard work has helped the team progress through out the season.