The Edge

By Christopher Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

Quarterback
After two weeks without football, Utah’s Brian Johnson looked good in his last performance. Ditto for change-up guy Corbin Louks. The super-sophomore from Danville, Calif., proved his versatile worth in the Utes’ 49-16 win over Colorado State on Oct. 18. 109 yards rushing, two touchdowns and a marvelous 37-yard strike to receiver David Reed made for a memorable day for Louks. Oh, and Johnson looked reminiscent of his 2005 form, airing it out and running the spread-option offense to perfection. New Mexico’s starter Donovan Porterie tore his ACL against Tulsa earlier this season, and now the Lobos feature freshman Brad Gruner and sophomore Tate Smith. Smith is the better runner of the two and Gruner can toss the pigskin better. Either way, neither come close to Utah’s duality behind center.
Edge: Utah

Running back
Is two better than one? That’s a toughie. Utah’s Matt Asiata and Darrell Mack are two viable, talented runners. They complement each other well, but New Mexico’s Rodney Ferguson is the complete package deal. At 6-foot, 234 pounds, Ferguson has the potential to beat any team. He has more rushing yards than any back in the nation (118 per game) and was voted by The Sporting News as the Mountain West Conference’s “Most Elusive” running back. He was also a consensus 1st team all-MWC candidate. He has played all four years in Albuquerque, N.M., and is presumably the most talented back in the MWC.
Edge: New Mexico

Wide receiver
The broken record continues to play. Utah’s depth and talent at the wideout position continues to flourish. The senior trio of Freddie Brown, Bradon Godfrey and Brent Casteel all have eclipsed the 300-yard receiving mark. Brown and Godfrey are Nos. 1 and 2 in the season in touchdown receptions with four and three, respectively. Up-and-comers such as David Reed, Jereme Brooks and Aiona Key round out the deepness the Utes showcase. New Mexico’s main threat comes on the ground, it’s no secret. Their top two receivers, sophomore Chris Hernandez and senior Jermaine McQueen, have topped 200-yards receiving this season and the Utah secondary would be reluctant to drift too far off of these guys.
Edge: Utah

Offensive line
After not giving up a sack for a couple games, the Utah offensive line is looking to carry on that momentum down to New Mexico this weekend. After giving up 19 sacks that have resulted in 125 yards, the O-line has shown its ability to block in crunch time. Senior left guard and offensive co-captain Robert Conley has returned to full strength, and this group will need a solid outing against the Lobos, leading up to TCU next week. Anytime you have the leading rusher in the nation, your offensive line must be doing something right. Despite giving up 15 sacks for 94 yards so far, this offensive line is anchored for Ferguson and his overall game.
Edge: Even

Defensive line
The Tasmanian Devils are the leaders of the talented Utah front-four. Defensive ends Paul Kruger and Koa Misi are Nos. 3 and 4 on the team in tackles with 41 and 40, respectively. Defensive tackles Greg Newman and Derrick Shelby have been consistent this season and are a main cog in forcing turnovers for the Utes. The return of original starter Kenape Eliapo will help bolster this already sturdy offensive line. Because of New Mexico’s obscure defense, the front-three for the Lobos cannot compare to that of Utah’s. Lobo senior defensive tackle Wesley Beck anchors the defensive line with 24 total tackles this season.
Edge: Utah

Linebacker
The three-headed monster of Stevenson Sylvester, Mike Wright and Nai Fotu has continued to do what it does best8212;produce. Wright and “Sly” are Nos. 1 and 2 on the team in tackles with 48 and 43 and the pass-rushing Fotu has 5.5 tackles for loss this season. Zach Arnett leads the Lobo linebacking corps with 68 total tackles, including 8 tackles for loss. Another name to keep an eye out for is Herbert Felder who has nine tackles for loss this season and 6.5 sacks.
Edge: Utah

Secondary
To the hardest comparison on the board: Much thanks to Lobo head coach Rocky Long and his 3-3-5 defense, it’s comparing the stellar foursome of Utah to the five-headed beast of New Mexico that includes the infamous “Lobo” position. Corners Sean Smith and Brice McCain are the perfect complement to one another and Smith has a team-leading stat of three interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown. Safeties Joe Dale and Robert Johnson also complement well. Dale is No. 6 on the team with 36 tackles and Johnson recovered a fumble against Wyoming. New Mexico’s defense is spearheaded by Lobos Clint McPeek and Ian Clark, alongside versatile cornerbacks Frankie Solomon and DeAndre Wright. The Lobo position is the main cog of the New Mexico defense and when back-five for the Lobos are keen on blitzing8212;watch out.
Edge: Utah

Special teams
Kicker/punter Louie Sakoda has been called the best kicker in the country. Lobo kicker James Aho? Not too shabby. His 13-for-17 performance this season is on par and his season-high kick of 48 yards was impressive. Punter Adam Miller averages 39.9 yards per punt, but the team has had three blocked punts so far this season. As far as punt-returns and kick-off returns go, no Lobo has taken it to the house this season. Utah’s David Reed has come close a couple times, but albeit for the opposing team’s kicker, Reed would have two on the season.
Edge: Utah

Coaching
The Lobos have had a knack for knocking off the Utes in inopportune times. These two teams have been trading places in the win-loss column over the past five or six years. The Utes lead the Lobos historically 30-17-2, but are only 12-12-1 when playing in Albuquerque, N.M. Will the Utes start a new streak of their own in New Mexico? That remains to be seen.
Edge: Utah