Football Notebook: Team ready to take on TCU

By Chris Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

Oh, Louie, Louie

Louie Sakoda has climbed and conquered the MWC.

The senior kicker-punter from San Jose, Calif., has surpassed former BYU quarterback John Beck with 11 weekly Mountain West Conference awards. Beck and Sakoda were tied with 10 before Monday’s announcement.

Sakoda hit two field goals from 43 and 38 yards out and dropped down four punts inside the 20-yard line against New Mexico on Saturday. Sakoda’s most important punt came with one minute and 58 seconds left in the game. The kick flew 43 yards and was downed on the Lobo 1-yard line.

“Louie Sakoda was the player of the week,” said head coach Kyle Whittingham. “The play of the game was his punt at the 1-yard line with a few minutes left. The odds aren’t good for anyone against our defense in that situation. The coverage unit did a great job of downing it.”

The highly-decorated Sakoda is no stranger to receiving national attention or awards. Some of the recognition Sakoda has received includes being named a Draddy Trophy finalist, a top 10 finalist for the Lowe’s Senior Class Award, a top 10 semifinalist for the Ray Guy Award, top 20 semifinalist for the Lou Groza award, which are awarded to the nation’s top punter and kicker, respectively.

Sakoda was also named the kicker of the Midseason All-American squad by SportingNews.com, CBSSports.com and Rivals.com.

Key on special teams

He arrived late on the scene8212;but oh, how he has made up for it.
Junior juco transfer wide receiver Aiona Key did not join the Utes until their third game of the season, but for the past three games, he has found his own forte.

Key has been having a personal block party during the past three games. In Utah’s Oct. 11 win over Wyoming, Key blocked and returned a punt for a touchdown. Against Colorado State on Oct. 18, Key nicked a punt by the Rams. On Saturday, Key was Johnny-on-the-spot again, but this time, it turned out to be the most timely and important for the Utes.

Key vaulted himself into the air to block James Aho’s 41-yard field goal attempt that came on the heels, which made a big difference as the Utes escaped Albuquerque, N.M., with a victory, 13-10.

“The simplicity of special teams lends itself to get guys involved more rapidly,” Whittingham said. “(Key’s) vertical leap helps. He has a tremendous vertical leap. When we win by three points and he blocks a field goal, that is a vital part of our win.”

Although Key is a wideout by trade, he made his first start of his Utah career against the Lobos.

“Special teams is not as involved schematically as the offense,” Whittingham said. “There isn’t as much to learn. You can plug guys in much more quickly, and offensively, he is increasing his role.”

Key’s ability to fly through the air is no secret. His personal best high jump was 7 feet, 3 inches.

Fast turnaround, even faster team

The No. 10 Utes are ready for the fastest team they will face all season.

No. 11 TCU comes to town Thursday for a nationally televised game, and more importantly, Bowl Championship Series implications on the line.

TCU, the No. 2 overall defense in the country, shellacked then-No. 9 BYU 32-7 on Oct. 16. Despite the immensity of this game, quarterback Brian Johnson said the atmosphere will be electric.

“You don’t need much motivation for this week,” Johnson said. “You just gotta come out and play. It’s a big game.”

TCU is quickly being recognized as one of the fastest teams in the MWC, if not the entire nation. The rarity in college football of a team’s defense sporting as much speed, if not more than the offense, is the case for this Horned Frogs’ squad.

“They’ve got a lot of speed out there,” said Utah linebacker Mike Wright.

Defensive end Jerry Hughes is the most athletic and powerful defensive player TCU features. A former running back, Hughes is the reigning MWC Defensive Player of the Week and leads the nation with 14 sacks.

Aside from Hughes, Utah is ready for the Horned Frogs to make their way to Rice-Eccles Stadium.

“Right now, we’re still doing the same thing,” free safety Robert Johnson said. “We’re still on the same schedule, and every game is big for us. Every game.”

Tyler Cobb

Aiona Key blocks a field goal attempt from New Mexico?s James Aho in the second quarter of the game on Saturday. Key has become a major part of the special teams since joining the Utes three games into the season.