The Edge: Utah vs. TCU

By Christopher Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

Quarterback

It comes down to two guys. Utah fifth-year senior Brian Johnson and TCU sophomore Andy Dalton are the captains of their respective ships. While Johnson and Dalton both run a derivative of the spread-option offense, the younger Dalton is the more fleet-footed of the two and has 308 yards rushing this season to go along with six rushing touchdowns. Johnson’s 14 touchdown passes and eight interceptions are decent stats, but many Ute fans have been waiting for a breakout game by their senior quarterback. Despite going 23-for-32 against New Mexico, Johnson threw a critical interception in the Lobo end zone in the fourth quarter. The Utes and Horned Frogs both feature change-up quarterbacks in Corbin Louks and Jeremy Kerley. While the wideout Kerley obliterated BYU when he lined up behind center, the Utah defense should be more prepared for TCU’s tricks, as the Utes do the same with a couple of players.

Edge: Even

Running back

The versatile running game of both teams is quite evident. TCU has seven rushers who have more than a 100 yards on the season. Utah has four. TCU has four guys with more than 300 yards total rushing. Utah has two. Matt Asiata and Darrell Mack have 541 yards and 465 yards, respectively. Asiata had 80 yards on 12 carries against the Lobos, while Mack had 54 yards on 10 carries. Speedster Eddie Wide, who has yet to see a substantial amount of playing time this season, will look to use his quickness and athleticism against the equally tough Horned Frog defense. TCU’s three-headed dragon features Joseph Turner (444 yards, 10 touchdowns), Marcus Jackson (356 yards, four touchdowns) and Ryan Christian (331 yards and three touchdowns). Logically, seven is more than four.

Edge: TCU

Wide receiver

When trying to contain the TCU air assault, there’s one guy Utah will have to keep a keen eye out for8212;Jimmy Young, No. 88. The sophomore from Monroe, LA., has 729 yards receiving this season, including five touchdown receptions. Young set a TCU single-game record two weeks ago with 226 yards receiving on five receptions against Wyoming. Seniors Walter Bryant and Shae Reagan are No. 2 and No. 3 on the team in receiving yards, respectively. The eclectic set of Utah wideouts has leadership, talent and a variety of experience. Senior wideouts Freddie Brown and Brent Casteel were the most impressive receivers in the win over New Mexico, but the question is, will a breakout performance by Johnson coincide with an offensive explosion from the six or seven used Utah wideouts?

Edge: Utah

Offensive linemen

One sack. That’s a stat that should bring a smile to the faces of Utah fans. Despite the unusual New Mexico defense and the combo blitzes it featured, Johnson was sacked only once on the night. Utah has given up 20 sacks on the season, resulting in total losses of 130 yards. TCU has given up half of that, with 10 sacks resulting in a loss of a mere 67 yards. With Utah going up against potentially the best defensive line in the nation, will it channel all its energy and know-how into stopping the fearsome front four of TCU?

Edge: TCU

Defensive line

Does anyone inflict more fear and hesitation on the field than Paul Kruger? Yes. His name is Jerry Hughes. Despite Kruger’s impressive stat line, Hughes’ stats stand out a whole lot more. The junior from Sugar Land, Texas, a converted running back, leads the nation in sacks with 14 and sits above Kruger with 17 tackles for loss, compared to Kruger’s 14.5. Hughes’ partners in crime, Matt Panfil and Cody Moore, are also in the top 10 for the Horned Frogs in tackles and sacks. Defensive end Koa Misi has seven tackles for loss this season, while senior defensive tackle Greg Newman has 7.5.

Edge: TCU

Linebacker

Which trio of linebackers is better: Utah’s Stevenson Sylvester, Nai Fotu and Mike Wright or TCU’s Jason Phillips, Robert Henson and Daryl Washington? Both of the teams’ defenses are led in tackles by linebackers. TCU’s trio has more tackles with Phillips at 60 and Henson at 57. They also have 10 and nine tackles for loss, respectively. Utah’s trio is as versatile as they come. Will Sylvester, Fotu and Wright be able to contain the athletic Dalton and the plethora of reliable running backs that the Horned Frogs have? The TCU trio handled BYU’s Harvey Unga and Fui Vakapuna with relative ease. Will it be the same for Utah’s Asiata and Mack? That is the million-dollar question.

Edge: TCU

Secondary

If Utah’s secondary was to look into a mirror, it would see the TCU back four staring right back at them. Both teams feature one of the more athletic and versatile secondaries in the country. While TCU might have a slight edge speed-wise, Utah might make up for it with effort and sound tackling ability. TCU safeties Tejay Johnson and Stephen Hodge run alongside defensive backs Steven Coleman and Nick Sanders. Coleman leads the team in interceptions with three, while Sanders has two. Look for Ute Sean Smith, who stands at 6-foot-3-inches, to be marking Jimmy Young all night. The Utes will need solid play from safeties Joe Dale and Robert Johnson, while the X-factor of the night might be the overall, well-rounded game of senior defensive co-captain Brice McCain.

Edge: Even

Special teams

Louie Sakoda will be shouldering a incredible load on the special teams front. The preseason All-American pinned New Mexico within its 20-yard line four times Saturday. However, TCU punter Anson Kelton is an impressive punter himself. He averages 42 yards per punt, which is .5 less than Sakoda. Kicker Ross Evans is also one to keep a watchful eye out for. He is 13-for-15 on the season. The disparity between the Utes and Horned Frogs comes in the return game. Jeremy Kerley and Aaron Brown are viable threats to take it to the house for six anytime they touch the ball. The problems for the Utes resurfaced after several weeks of being dormant. David Reed muffed a punt that was recovered by New Mexico. In a showdown of specially-talented defenses, both teams will try not to give up good field position throughout the game.

Edge: Even

Coaching

The last time the Utes lost to TCU was Sept. 15, 2005. A lot has changed since then. Both teams are ranked in the top 15 in the nation and actually are separated by only one spot in the AP Poll. The No. 10 Utes and No. 11 Horned Frogs gather for a nationally televised game at Rice-Eccles Stadium with their seasons on the line. Whether he likes to admit it or not, Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham and his Utes know that this is the biggest game Utah will have played in recent memory. Will Gary Patterson’s crew storm into Salt Lake City and spoil Utah’s BCS hopes? Expect fireworks. Or more simply put, a sea of black.

Edge: Utah