Hinckley Institute photo contest winners announced

By Trent Lowe, Staff Writer

What began as a simple internship to China turned into a visit to the Olympics, a snapshot with renowned writer and New York Times columnist Thomas L. Friedman and accolades from the Hinckley Institute of Politics for one U student.

Mark Ericson, a senior majoring in public relations and Chinese, earned a summer internship with The Coca-Cola Company in Beijing and had the opportunity to attend the gold medal soccer match at the 2008 Summer Olympics with Friedman and other members of Ericson’s department.

Coca-Cola hosted Friedman, a three-time Pulitzer Prize winner, as a guest of honor for the Olympics. Ericson was able to pose for a photo with Friedman outside the Beijing National Stadium, commonly known as the “Bird’s Nest.” The photo earned Ericson top honors in the Hinckley Institute photo contest, which was established in an attempt to increase the image of the program.

Although the contest is new, the program has high expectations that it will allow one-of-a-kind opportunities to interns and spur excitement in students not yet involved.

“We’ve had students take their pictures with the 2008 presidential candidates, Colin Powell…a lot of cool photos,” said Jonny Spendlove, an assistant at the Hinckley Institute involved with the contest.

The Hinckley Institute is looking to broaden the range of applicants and sees this contest as a way to reach students.

“There are two main reasons for it,” said Kirk Jowers, director of the Hinckley Institute. “First, photos generate excitement for past, current and future interns8212;it shows where we are, what we’re seeing. And second, it’s promotional for the Hinckley Institute. We try to get people from across campus, we’re hoping some of these pictures will touch people that wouldn’t otherwise know about us.”

The photo contest is a new addition to the internship program offered by the Hinckley Institute, which organizes internships for more than 200 students a year with various organizations and government offices both locally and internationally.

“It was cool to have real-world experience instead of being stuck in the classroom, to be in China and be able to use my Chinese,” Ericson said of his internship experience.

Increases in program participation thanks to the contest are not immediately noticeable, but directors hope that in the future, it will be a great marketing tool.

“We’re only beginning to see the fruits from it,” Jowers said. “We’ve doubled the number of internships in the last three years and hope to continue.”

Thomas Friedman, a three-time Pulitzer Prize winner, stops for a photo with U student Mark Ericson. Ericson was awarded top honors in a photo contest held by the Hinckley Institute.