Johnson a finalist for Johnny U award

By Chris Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

The Golden Touch?

Utah quarterback Brian Johnson is being mentioned in the same realm as NFL legend Johnny Unitas. Johnson was named to a list of five finalists for the 2008 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award.

The fifth-year senior from Baytown, Texas, was named as finalist for the Unitas Award, which is specifically for outstanding play of a senior quarterback. The list started with 26 finalists, but has been cut down to Johnson, Missouri’s Chase Daniel, Texas Tech’s Graham Harrell, Alabama’s John Parker Wilson and West Virginia’s Pat White.

Johnson was also named the Mountain West Conference Player of the Week after he led the Utah offense on an 80-yard drive with two minutes and 48 seconds left, which culminated in the Utes emerging victorious over TCU, 13-10.

“We did good things offensively, especially in the two minute situation,” said head coach Kyle Whittingham. “Brian led us right down the field for the win. He showed poise and confidence and so did our entire offense. It’s become our trademark and we’ve done a nice job of that.”

Johnson ended up going 24-for-398212;including 7-for-9 on the final drive8212;against the much-heralded TCU defense and caught the national spotlight.

“We can’t fall in love with ourselves and thinking that we’ve arrived,” Whittingham said. “There is plenty that we need to fix from the TCU game.”

While Johnson is receiving some rave reviews from analysts, there are still two games left to be played for the Utes. The “Johnny U” award will be presented at the Golden Arm Award banquet on Dec. 5, in downtown Baltimore.

“We want to show everyone that we can be the No. 1 defense”

Those were the words of free safety Robert Johnson before Thursday’s game against TCU. Robert Johnson spoke of his own defense and how it was good or just as good as the stellar Horned Frogs. His words echoed for 52 minutes Thursday night as the Utah defense gave up 10 early points, but found a way to respond8212;for three and a half quarters of impressive, shutdown defense.

“The story line of Thursday’s game was two top 10 defenses,” Whittingham said. “It’s kinda like a baseball analogy. It was great pitching versus great hitting, and usually great pitching wins.”

The Ute defense was indeed shaken after the first couple of outings, but held the fleet-footed TCU offense to 6 second-quarter yards. The defense also had four sacks on the night, resulting in a loss of 48 yards. Defensive ends Paul Kruger and linebacker Stevenson Sylvester used two of those sacks to take the Horned Frogs out of field goal range.

Defensive back Sean Smith had a hand in the second-quarter domination, as he picked off TCU quarterback Andy Dalton late in the quarter and helped set up a Louie Sakoda field goal before halftime with a 37-yard return.

“When we go out there and perform and play our A game, obviously, we’ll have the rest of the country to mess with,” Smith said. “Our confidence is amazing right now.”

Nothing but kind words

Although the Utes emerged as the victor over TCU, the players and coaches had nothing but positive things to say about the now 9-2 Horned Frogs.

“TCU is an excellent football team,” Whittingham said. “They are fast, physical and they have excellent defensive schemes, so we knew it’d be tough, and indeed, that’s what it was.”

Formerly No. 11 in the AP poll, TCU dropped to No. 15. Gary Patterson’s bunch sports the No. 2 overall defense in the nation, but is No. 1 in rushing defense. The Horned Frogs’ two losses have come to top 10 teams.

Aside from the loss to the Utes, TCU also lost to a then-No. 2 Oklahoma on Sept. 27. TCU’s defense was as good as advertised, and offensive lineman Dustin Hensel said that though he was happy with the outcome, it was never a guarantee with two minutes to go.

“It was not an automatic at all,” Hensel said. “But I knew we had a chance. TCU just has a great defense. They’re phenomenal.”