Honda collides with Chartwells van

By Michael McFall, Staff Writer

Trevor Stoddard looked up from his lunch in the Warnock Engineering Building to see a gold Honda crash into a pole outside the window.

Two elderly women tried to make a quick left onto Central Campus Drive when they were hit by a northbound Chartwells delivery van. The Honda spun around and drove straight into a pole outside the Warnock Building.

“The van was going pretty fast and they got clipped on the side,” said Stoddard, a senior in chemical engineering.

The driver of the Honda, who declined to give her name, said she thought she had an opening but did not see the van until it was too late.

The Honda driver got out of the front and joined her passenger in the backseat. The driver of the van, Andrew Fuchs, called campus police. They waited more than 20 minutes for an officer to arrive.

Both vehicles were towed. The van has a front light knocked out and a dent in its side. The front of the Honda has been smashed.

The Honda driver said she is a U alumna and used to be a professor. She and her passenger, who the driver said was her sister-in-law’s sister, were at the school to attend the Siciliano Forum on terrorism in OSH.