Stellar QBs collide

By Matt Payne, Special to The Daily Utah Chronicle

One has statistics that other quarterbacks only dream of. The other leads an undefeated team with the inside track to a Bowl Championship Series game.

Brigham Young University’s Max Hall and the University of Utah’s Brian Johnson have had their share of success on the field, but will have to wait until Saturday to see who can lead his team to a victory in what is shaping up to be another important chapter in the BYU-Utah rivalry.

Hall is a pocket passer who has a knack for picking defenses apart. Nationally, he’s in the top 10 in several categories, including passing efficiency, passing yards, passing touchdowns and completion percentage. He has impressive runs of 31 and 25 yards in two games. Hall is a fiery competitor and the unquestioned leader of the Cougars.

Johnson is more athletic and mobile than Hall and can make things happen outside the pocket. As a fifth-year senior who missed much of the past two years because of various injuries, Johnson is healthy and hungry for success.

As far as weaknesses go, Hall takes too many sacks and must work on throwing the ball away when there is nobody open (he threw too many late interceptions against Colorado State on Nov. 1).

Johnson has been plagued by inconsistency, as shown by his low touchdown-to -interception ratio (14-to-8) and penchant for taking sacks (20 on the year). Most fans know he has also been injury-prone, though this is not necessarily his fault.

The two players might have different strengths, but they have one thing in common8212;both are effective when it counts.

Johnson’s inconsistency seems to disappear as the game clock ticks down, and he has been nearly flawless in leading the No. 8 Utes to come-from-behind victories over Oregon State and Texas Christian University. Johnson was 7-for-9 for 65 yards and a touchdown in the final drive against TCU, and 7-for-8 for 91 yards and a touchdown in the last two drives against the Pac-10’s Beavers.

That said, Hall also has a flair for the dramatic, leading the Cougars to last-minute wins over UNLV and Colorado State. Hall was 7-for-7 for 55 yards and a touchdown against the Rebels and 5-for-6 for 76 yards and a touchdown against the Rams on the game-winning drives.

These are the kinds of players you want on your side when you take the field, and come rivalry week, they’ll be able to showcase their skills in a truly meaningful game.

For Johnson and the Utes, nothing less than a BCS berth is on the line. And although Hall and the Cougars are not coming in undefeated, they are going to do everything they can to rain on Utah’s BCS parade.

The rest of us can sit back and enjoy, as this game is destined to come down to one of these quarterbacks being called on to come through in the clutch once again.

Editor’s Note8212;Matt Payne is the football beat writer for BYU’s campus newspaper, The Daily Universe.

Lennie Mahler

When given time, BYU quarterback Max Hall has ability to pick opposing defenses apart. Hall drives to beat UNLV and Colorado State this season.

Lucas Isley

Brian Johnson combined foot speed and accurate throwing to make plays, especially in late-game drives.