Rivalry win would be perfect end for seniors

By Christopher Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

Whether they’ve been in Salt Lake City for five years, four years or just two years, 19 seniors will bid Rice-Eccles Stadium adieu Saturday after one of the biggest games in Utah history.

“It’s been a very good class with great leadership,” said head coach Kyle Whittingham. “They’ve had a heck of a run here.”

It’s no secret the Utes have won seven bowl games in a row. Some, including quarterback Brian Johnson, wide receiver Brent Casteel and offensive lineman Robert Conley, were there in 2004 when Utah throttled BYU 52-21 en route to the first-ever Bowl Championship Series busted by a non-BCS team.

“We’ll reminisce after,” said Johnson when asked if the thought of playing his last game at home would cloud his thoughts. “Our number one goal is to try and get a win.”

The fifth-year senior has only gone up against the Cougars once, in last year’s 17-10 loss in Provo. The No. 8 Utes are now one win away from perfection and more importantly, another berth in the BCS. Beating BYU and waltzing out of Rice-Eccles Stadium victorious in their last home game would be ideal for those who won’t be back next year.

“It means everything,” said senior defensive tackle Greg Newman.

Newman and defensive back Brice McCain are the lone seniors starting on the defense this year.

A native Texan, McCain has seen himself turn from a wide-eyed freshman in 2005, as the Utes went into Provo and defeated the Cougars 41-34 in overtime, to now admitting that defeating his rival at all costs would be the perfect way to walk away from his athletic career with Utah football.

“It’s big, it’s big,” said McCain in reference to the rivalry. “You play each other so much, it kinda sticks to you and you just want to beat that other team.”

The senior defensive co-captain also mentioned that while this game has enormous implications, the whole rivalry aspect of the event certainly should not leave the Utes starry-eyed or confused about what they need to accomplish two days from now.

“We can’t let the rivalry get too hyped up,” McCain said. “But we’ll come out to play.”

The Utes’ other native Texan senior, Conley, is ready to seal his career at the U, but wants to just get down to business, study film and be as prepared as possible for his last home game.

“We just need to evaluate and play ball,” Conley said. “It’s a big rivalry, but we have to approach it just like every other game.”

Although the talent on the team has come in large part from underclassmen, the coaching staff insists that this team is where it is today due to the senior leadership in all three facets of the game.

After come-from-behind victories against Oregon State and TCU, most of the credit went to the seniors. Whether it was a punt or kick by senior all-purpose kicker Louie Sakoda, a crucial reception by Casteel, Bradon Godfrey or Freddie Brown or a perfectly-orchestrated drive by Johnson, the determination of seniors has never been in question.

“We are going to miss those guys,” Whittingham said. “A big thanks for all they have done for our program and for their hard work and dedication.”

Tyler Cobb

Brice McCain along with 18 other seniors on this years team prepare for their last home game. McCain said he?s not letting the hype of this week’s game get to him.