UMNH, students discover firebugs

By Isabella Bravo, Staff Writer

When U entomologist Christy Bills visited a class of seventh and eighth graders in early November, she mentioned that an alien bug species was sighted in Sugar House and that the students should keep an eye out for the bugs, which could be anywhere. The students did.

En route to the Jordan River, the students noticed the foreign bugs crawling on many of the trees. The class’ teacher, Lorie Millward, a naturalist at the Utah Museum of Natural History, originally thought the bugs were native boxelder bugs, but then noticed that the bugs had more red in their back pattern.

There have only been four confirmed sightings of these wingless firebugs in the United States in the past 100 years, including two by Millward’s students. The students assisted Bills in compiling a report of the sightings for the United States Department of Agriculture. Based on the students’ reports, the USDA will decide whether to eradicate the firebugs from Salt Lake County or allow the bugs to stay.

The students are compiling a presentation on the firebugs for the school’s museum, which will debut this spring.

U faculty members are branching out to help junior high scientists make scientific discoveries and build a museum in which to exhibit them.

Millward teaches the class through a program in the teaching and learning department in the College of Education, which arranges for U faculty and staff to make guest presentations or teach special courses at a charter school in Glendale. The Salt Lake Center for Science Education first opened its doors this school year. The school bases its curriculum on state requirements, but focuses on math and science taught by academic and professional mentors.

Millward teaches 22 students in seventh and eighth grade. For her course, Millward and the students are designing a student-created museum for the school to use in future research. The students also venture into natural environments and learn how to observe and record their space scientifically. Guest speakers from the U have already helped add some noteworthy subjects to the museum.

Lorie Millward

A middle school class has been credited with two of the four confirmed sightings of firebugs in the United States over the last 100 years. The Sightings came after U entomologist Christy Bills visited the class.