International enrollment up almost 6 percent

By Rita Totten, Staff Writer

Tarun Prabhu, a graduate student in computer science from India, chose to study at the U because it was affordable and allowed him to do research he wouldn’t have been able to do in his native country.

“One of the major attractions of Utah is its low cost,” Prabhu said. After applying to nine other universities, Prabhu was admitted to the U and offered funding for his studies. He said he likes the friendly and less competitive environment of the U and enjoys the broader choice of career options available in the United States.

“I wanted to get into a career in research,” Prabhu said. “Back in India, there aren’t too many options for someone who wants to do that.”

Prabhu is one of the 1,809 international students studying at the U this year, a number that is up by 5.7 percent from last year and about 103 more students than 2007, said Anjali Pai Hammond, associate director of international programs and services at the International Center.

“Most students select the U for academic programs, perceived safety and cost for high quality education,” Hammond said. The recreational opportunities also attract a lot of exchange students to Utah.

Christoph Dressler, the sponsored student coordinator for the U, said that once a prospective international student hears about Utah, it becomes an attractive destination because of its competitive out-of-state tuition.

“The top three countries sending students are China, Korea and India,” Dressler said.

As a recruiter, Dressler markets the U as friendly to all types of people. A major drawback for many Western European students when looking at the U is the prominence
of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Utah, Dressler said, because Europeans perceive the LDS Church as having an influence on the U. Dressler said he tries to turn students “back on to Utah.”

One factor Asian students consider when choosing an international school is the school’s international ranking. The U is ranked among the top research colleges and universities in the world. Name recognition is also considered by international students and names such as Mario Capecchi, who won the 2007 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his work with genetics, and the global recognition of the Utah Jazz attract students, Dressler said.

“Salt Lake is a great destination due to (the) airport, city and campus right next to each other,” Dressler said. “International students tend to study the sciences, which is also our strength overall.”

International students attend a Utes football game with the Cross Culture Club last fall. The number of international students studying at the U has risen 5.7 percent since last year.