Bama offensive strength, Johnson take center stage

By Chris Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

NEW ORLEANS8212;At last, the granddaddy of them all. At least for 12-0 Utah.
In what is being billed as the biggest game in school history, the Utes head into the Sugar Bowl against a top five, Southeastern Conference team.

“Right now, not to toot our own horn, but we have the longest winning streak in the cup, both in bowl games and in regular-season play,” said Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham. “So obviously we’d like to hang on to that.”

So now, the story is being predicted like this: brute strength vs. front-and-center versatility.
The two biggest areas of concern from the two head coaches preparing for the 75th annual Sugar Bowl were addressed at the last press conference, a day before kickoff on Jan. 2. Whittingham did not hesitate to candidly describe what makes the Alabama offense move.

“The offensive line,” Whittingham said bluntly. “That’s what makes everything go. They’ve got a physical offensive line. I’ve said that numerous times during the course of the preparation. That’s the most apparent thing on tape.”

On the opposite side of the coin, Alabama head coach Nick Saban mentioned that his team’s No. 1 goal is to rattle Mountain West Conference Offensive Player of the Year Brian Johnson.

The fifth-year senior finished the season ablaze throwing 10 touchdowns in his last three games of the season and Saban and his crew have fixated themselves unto Johnson’s play-calling and playmaking abilities.

“I think they’ve got as fine a quarterback with as good a passing efficiency and accuracy as we’ve played against all year,” Saban said. “(Utah’s) production on offense is one of the top teams in the country.”

When asked the same question about his own offense, Whittingham said about the same thing.
“It starts with Brian Johnson,” Whittingham said. “He’s our team leader. “
The No. 4 Crimson Tide and No. 6 Utes have been awaiting for this much-anticipated game for more than a few weeks, but the distractions of a Bowl Championship Series game and a most-certain electric crowd, Whittingham said his players are ready and restless to get the game underway.

“We’re very anxious,” Whittingham said. “Its’ been a long time. Nov. 22 is the last time these guys hit somebody other than themselves, so we’re ready for that.”

Whittingham, who recently signed a five-year contract worth $6 million, touched on the play of the Alabama defense, the play of quarterback John Parker Wilson and the stunning loss of Tide Outland Trophy winner Andre Smith who was suspended. Utah’s coach most-prevalently had to touch on inquires about a non-BCS team like the Utes potentially being able to play for a national championship in the near future.

Whittingham used his self-admitted favorite phrase once again when addressing the issue.
“I think it would take the perfect storm,” he said.
While talks of the future and potential were surrounded on Utah’s leading man, coach Saban addressed issues that caused the Tide to fall to Florida in the SEC championship game. Issues such as third-down stops and not giving up big plays were the main reiteration by Saban heading into tonight’s game.

“Third down is critical in the game,” Saban said. “I mentioned that before, with that was one of our failings in the Florida game. We gave up a couple big plays that were all on scoring drives, we had three third-down situations that (Florida) scored touchdowns on. So that’s going to be critical in the game for us.”

Whittingham spoke of the strength and the physicality of the Alabama offense and his teams’ need to be as physical and challenge every play.

“(Alabama’s offensive line) has good players around them, don’t get me wrong,” Whittingham said. “(Glen) Coffee is an excellent tailback, over six yards a carry. Julio Jones, best freshman receiver in the country. But what really makes things go is that offensive front. It’s a very impressive group. That’s a big challenge for our front seven, is to match up with their run game.”

In undoubtedly Utah’s biggest game in school history, the respect has been coming in waves on both the offensive and defensive side of the football. Saban continued on by saying the Utes’ offense and defense are both “top in the country.”