Aztec’s end U’s winning streak

By Christopher Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

Both Utah and San Diego State came into Saturday’s game riding four-game winning streaks.

For the Utes, it was poof, another winning streak gone.

After jumping out to a quick 3-0 advantage, the Utes never saw the lead again after giving up too many turnovers (16) and too many second-chance points (13 offensive rebounds) to the Aztecs in the 72-63 loss in San Diego.

“I am not happy with the way we played,” said head coach Jim Boylen. “We had some open looks and some layups that we missed.”

SDSU went up 16-5 early on the Utes and the No. 3 ranked defense in college basketball continued on its stellar first-half of defensive basketball, holding the Utes to shooting 42 percent from the field. Despite only three first-half points from center Luke Nevill, the Utes were able to hang by strong defensive rebounding. Aztecs swingman Ryan Amoroso tormented the Utes for 17 points and eight rebounds, none bigger than a dagger 3-pointer with less than three seconds left to end the first half, putting SDSU up 33-26.

“You can’t get down early the way we did on the road,” Boylen said. “We fought back a couple times but that 3-pointer (by SDSU) right at the end of the first half was big. I think their points off of turnovers and their second-chance points hurt us.”

Despite playing respectably in the second half, the Utes could not get over the SDSU defensive hump. The Utes shot 6-for-23 from behind the arc and had 21 fouls in the game8212;nine more than the Aztecs. Aside from the struggles, the offensive production that saw 90-plus points in two straight games against high caliber opponents such as Wyoming and Louisiana State, hit a snag. The Utes finished the game with seven assists and the usual scorers such as guard Tyler Kepkay and forwards Kim Tillie and Carlon Brown combined for 15 points on 7-of-19 shooting.

“Our defense was very good at times, but we have to make more plays on the road,” Boylen said. “We have to make shots.”

Nevill had a strong second half as he scored 14 points in the later half. The 7-foot-2 center finished the game with 17 points and seven rebounds. It was the first time in SDSU history that the Aztecs have beaten the Utes in three straight games.

Utah (10-6, 1-1) now travels to Colorado Springs, Colo., to take on the 9-6 Air Force Falcons, who are currently 0-2 in Mountain West Conference play.

Boylen was assessed a technical foul as SDSU nabbed its largest lead of the game, 60-48 with 5 minutes 11 seconds left in the second half, surely a move of frustration from a coach that saw his team go 3-1 against the likes of Oregon, Cal, Gonzaga and LSU.

“(The Aztecs) were very prepared and I think the week off was good for them, it gave them more time to prepare for us,” Boylen said.

Lennie Mahler

Luka Drca battles with Steven Gray of Gonzaga for a lose ball. Gonzaga was one of the four straight teams the Utes had earned wins against before losing Saturday at SDSU.