Judge dismisses suit over stolen U records

By Michael McFall, Staff Writer

A judge has dismissed a woman’s case against Perpetual Storage Inc., the company responsible for transporting the U Hospital’s billing records that were stolen last summer.

Last June, Thelma Keachie filed a personal injury suit against the company and three of its employees when thieves stole 1.5 million billing records from the vehicle of their courier, Kelly Record. Third District Judge Denise Lindberg dismissed Keachie’s case on Friday because she did not state facts that, if proved true, would entitle her to be awarded a remedy from Perpetual Storage, Inc, according to court records.

Last July, police arrested Shadd Hartman and Thomas Anderson and recovered the records, which had not been compromised. In a press conference following the arrests, County Sheriff Jim Winder said that neither the courier nor his employer should be targeted since they are also unfortunate victims of theft.

Twelve other potential victims of the theft also sued Perpetual Storage Inc. last July, independently of Keachie. The court has not addressed the case since last August, when the records were recovered.