Astronomy major offered in fall

By Jeremy Thompson, Staff Writer

A new major in the physics department will soon provide a way for students to study awe-inspiring views of heavenly bodies in more detail.

In August 2009, the physics department will offer a new program for both undergraduate and graduate students in astrophysics. The new program will offer an expanded workload coupled with hands-on research.

Department officials hope this program will attract a wider, more diverse range of students and provide them with new perspective and understanding about the universe.

As part of the new major, the department is building multiple telescopes at research locations, including the Southern Utah Observatory.

The department hopes the new telescopes will expand its profile and bring attention to its new program from across the country. The department will also host international conferences and lectures focused on astronomical topics.

This joint venture with surrounding universities is designed to increase the study and understanding of the stars and how they function while providing students with hands-on experience in the research and study of astronomy.

“Right now we have about 90 graduate physics students and about 230 undergraduate students,” said Dave Kieda, chairman of the department of physics. “Our goal all along has been to increase the number of graduate and undergraduate students with the addition of the astronomy major. We appear right on track to make that happen.”

As part of the new major, the department has also petitioned the U Academic Senate and the U Board of Trustees to allow the department to receive a name change to the department of physics and astronomy.

This name change would “more accurately reflect the nature of the research and teaching that occurs in our department,” according to the faculty’s official petition.

The physics department is hoping the name change will highlight the focus on the new major and encourage students to explore the possibilities and opportunities for those who study the stars.

The faculty is also expanding to help accommodate the growth of the department, with the addition of internationally recognized professionals such as Kyle Dawson and Frank van den Bosch. Both will join the faculty in Fall Semester along with two undetermined faculty members, in order to prepare for the transition.

“We are now offering new research, courses and public outreach activities,” Kieda said. “With the growth we have experienced so far, who knows how far it can go? I guess you could say the stars are the limit.”