Students adjust to library changes

By Rosemary Campell, Staff Writer

Even though the west doors of the Marriott Library will be closed until the end of August, it doesn’t stop Giannina Fuentes from going to the library to study almost every day.

The final phase of renovation at the library began in December and will be completed this summer, said Mary Ross, a spokeswoman for the library.

Fuentes, a junior in psychology, said she loves the new layout of the library with the quiet and clean places to study. On the second floor in the new Knowledge Commons, Fuentes can sit at an iMac computer waiting for it to boot up without competing with hundreds of other students for computer time.

“There are many computers and so if I want to use a computer, I can be pretty sure I’ll find one,” Fuentes said.

Ross said the Knowledge Commons is designed to prepare students to succeed in the age of technology by offering multiple tiers of information help as well as supporting learning in groups. Besides the Knowledge Commons, the recent construction includes remodeling the west entrance, installing granite floors and new stations for the cashier, book pick-up and the University Writing Center.

On the first floor, the library will open up the Ira and Mary Lou Fulton Learning Center and Mom’s Café, in honor of the late Myrtie Fulton, Ira Fulton’s mother. Mom’s Café will replace the old café to create a larger eating area for students.

Alfred Mowdood, head of research and information, is one of the people in charge of the Knowledge Commons project, which has been in the works for more than four years. Renovation of the library began in 2005.

“What we’re trying to do is provide a place for research and production support (with) technologically proficient staff and faculty, provide intensive student engagement with coaching, advising, mentoring and tutoring (and) provide excellent customer service and successful learning,” Mowdood said.

Students can use the Knowledge Commons for projects and research, to watch films for class, create their own movies, get help from the writing lab and even receive advice about classes from academic advisers who work there.

Job Friedman, a student finishing prerequisites for graduate school at the U, said despite the extra computers and help, he doesn’t like how the library has been designed.

“I prefer the way it was before,” Friedman said. “I like the whole downstairs area (because) the lobby is a fun place to hang out. I think they could do something to make it a more friendly atmosphere, not so much an office feel to it.”

However, Josh Jing, a senior in electrical engineering, said he thinks the change is wonderful.

“Before, the computers were all right next to each other,” Jing said. “Right now, they have their own station.”

Jing is also excited about the remodeling work on the first floor to include individual study areas and couches, which could make the library less crowded.

This is the fourth and final year of construction on the library. The east entrance was closed for most of the 2007-2008 academic year and opened in October. Rededication of the library is scheduled for the fall when construction is completely finished.

Nick Andrew

Students walk downstairs inside the Marriott Library. With construction closing the west entrance of the library, students are forced to enter from the east to access the downstairs.