Changes on 1300 E. bring opposition

By Isabella Bravo, Staff Writer

U student Lauren Schaaf is leading neighbors and students in opposition to the reconfiguration of 1300 East from 600 South to 1700 South.

The Salt Lake City Transportation Department proposed the restructuring a few months ago to increase safety for pedestrians and bicyclists. The proposal includes two phases: a short-term phase and secondary safety additions.

As part of the initial phase, the speed limit would decrease from 35 mph to 30 mph on the road and the city will install flashing lights for pedestrians crossing at four neighborhood streets that intersect with 1300 East.

The final phase condenses 1300 East from 600 South to 1300 South to a single lane road with a turning lane in the center and bicycle lanes along the northbound and southbound sides of the road. The proposal also eliminates roadside parking between 1300 South and 1700 South.

The city held a public forum in October to discuss its plans with residents of 1300 East and other concerned locals.

Schaaf, a student in mass communication and a lifelong 1300 East resident, said she is not opposed to all the changes that the city has proposed. She believes the added visibility to pedestrian crossings might be a beneficial improvement to the road. However, she said some of the changes are more likely to add congestion during peak traffic times.

“My main concern is the plan to change 1300 East to one lane each direction between (600 South) and 1300 South,” she said. “I’ve lived in this area my whole life, and I’ve never had a problem with traffic in that section of 1300 East. Sure, it is busy in the mornings when people are headed off to work and school, but the only area where traffic is actually congested is between 2100 and 1300 South, (which is) the only area where the road is one lane each direction.”

Schaaf has provided a means for those opposed to these changes to voice their opinions in the “Leave 1300 East Alone” Facebook group. The group has 147 members.

Max Deneris, a member of the Facebook group who lives near the proposed reconfiguration, said there are probably more people against the proposal.

“Most likely anyone who lives in the area thinks it’s a bad idea,” he said.

Deneris agrees with Schaaf that the reconfiguration would make traffic congestion in the area worse.

“The one lane section (on) 1700 South is impossible to get through sometimes, even not at rush hour,” he said. “One lane each way and one turning lane will not handle the traffic flow we need. The signs should be fixed, as well as maintenance, but as for the (restructuring), they would definitely make things much worse.”

The Salt Lake City Transportation Department will accept comments from residents and other concerned individuals through Friday online on the City Council page at http://apps.slcgov.com/general/absolutefp/councilAll.htm.

To find out more about the 1300 East reconfiguration, go to www.slcgov.com/council/announcements/1300_East_PowerPoint.pdf.