Crime report

By Michael McFall, Staff Writer

Basketball player cited

Luke Nevill, the center for the U men’s basketball team, received a traffic citation from Salt Lake Police on Tuesday. According to Salt Lake Police spokeswoman Lara Jones, the incident is receiving ongoing investigation. She could only confirm that the player received a citation. ABC4 News reported that Nevill’s vehicle was being impounded, but Jones said she knows nothing about that.

Head coach Jim Boylen said that no disciplinary action is being taken against the player and that the citation was not a distraction from the team’s game against San Diego State on Wednesday.

Police arrest “Cameron Diaz’

A 43-year-old man walked into the Red Onion Deli and Grill near Research Park and started stuffing cookies and brownies into his pockets. The man was also making bomb threats against the restaurant. The employees were too scared to remove the man themselves, so they called police.

When officers arrived and asked the man for his name, he told them it was Cameron Diaz. Police asked him to tell the truth, but he continued to lie. After they handcuffed and searched him, officers found a wallet filled with fake IDs. A driver’s license showed his real name as Wesley Clanton Kaura, according to the police report. He was later released with a citation for retail theft and giving false information to police.

The park of pot

A week after teenagers in a car were pulled over near Sunnyside Park for smoking pot and drinking alcohol, an officer stopped a 16-year-old boy by Sunnyside for driving with no headlights on. The officer could smell alcohol and burnt marijuana. The officer asked if there was anything illegal inside the car. The boy hesitantly responded there was something illegal, but it was inside him, not the car, the report said.

As he got out, a half-filled beer bottle fell from between his legs to the ground. Police cited him for possession of alcohol by a minor and abuse of marijuana. He was released to his father.

Blazing new paths

A truck with two trailers got stuck trying to leave the Marriott Library’s loading dock. The exit from the dock, a roundabout encircling a planter, was not designed for a two-trailer truck, groundskeepers said. The second trailer could not get through. After consulting his dispatcher, he drove straight over the planter, breaking some cement and leaving a large tire track in the planter. The damage is considered accidental according to campus police.

College blowing smoke

An electrical fire in the S.J. Quinney College of Law was a minor maintenance problem, but fans literally blew it up into something bigger. The small electrical fire was near a vent, and a fan blew the smoke throughout the college’s entire main lobby and hallway on Wednesday morning. Firefighters cleared the smoke a while later.

Subjects of social work

Stephen Smith, a homeless man, tried setting up a bed inside the College of Social Work on Sunday night, but police removed him from the building, according to the police report. Another homeless man was selling in-line skates outside the College of Social Work on Tuesday morning. Police arrested him for outstanding warrants.

Compiled by Michael McFall