Utah takes on championship hosts

By Bryan Chouinard, Staff Writer

The last time Utah traveled to Lincoln, Neb., was in March 2007, when the No. 5 Red Rocks fell to the then-No.7 Nebraska Cornhuskers.

But this is a very different Utah team, under very different circumstances.

Only three gymnasts from the 2007 team will be traveling to Lincoln this weekend: seniors Kristina Baskett and Nina Kim and junior Jamie Deetscreek. But that’s not the only difference between this year’s trip and 2007’s; this year, Utah will be walking into the Bob Devaney Sports Center as the top-ranked team in the country.

“We’re just looking at it like every other meet,” Kim said. “We’re going to try to do a little better than the meet before and we’ll be ready.”

Today marks the end of a long week for the Red Rocks, who will be taking part in their third meet in eight days, two of which have been on the road. But the Red Rocks have been at their best on the road this season, which is something that will have to continue, because both regionals and the national championships will be on the road.

“To be honest, right now we’re better on the road than we are at home,” said head coach Greg Marsden. “At home, we have had to count a fall in two of our meets, one on floor and one on beam. On the road, we haven’t had to count a fall yet and we’re really finishing strong on beam.”

But this road meet will have added importance for the Red Rocks. The trip to Nebraska will give the Red Rocks a sneak peek of the venue for this season’s national championships, an advantage the seniors on the team look forward to.

“I definitely think it’s an advantage,” Baskett said. “Just to be able to be in there and see the surroundings, so when we do go in there, it won’t be overwhelming. It will definitely take the wonder out of going in there in April.”

Kim had similar thoughts.

“We’ve been there a couple of times,” Kim said. “But it will give the whole team the experience right before nationals, give us a feel for it and get us comfortable with the surroundings.”

Although Baskett and Kim stressed the importance of taking advantage of the opportunity, Marsden said he feels too much is made of the trip before the national championships in April.

“I have never felt like it’s all that important,” Marsden said. “The championships are just so different. It’s not even the same equipment8212;the home school doesn’t get to use their equipment, so there’s not that advantage.”

One advantage Nebraska will have is that the Cornhuskers are fresh off an upset victory over No. 7 Oklahoma. Nebraska has a 4-1 record on the season and has yet to face a team outside the top 25.

But the Red Rocks will be a challenge unlike any other the Cornhuskers have faced this season. Nebraska’s top score this season8212;196.1258212;is still lower than Utah’s lowest score of 196.175. Not only is Utah the No. 1 team on bars, vault and overall, but Baskett seems to have hit her stride, winning two straight all-around titles for Utah since her worst meet of the year two weeks ago against Oregon State.

“(The Oregon meet) seems so long ago,” Baskett said. “That night was just an off night for me. Lately, my body has just felt like it has a lot of energy.”

After Nebraska, Utah will return home for three straight home meets against top 25 teams Michigan, Arizona State and Florida.

“We just need to keep that feeling that it doesn’t matter if we’re at home or on the road,” Marsden said. “Because regionals and nationals won’t be at home this year, we have to be road warriors.”

Lennie Mahler

Sean Green led the Utes against San Diego State on Wednesday night. The Utes look to extend their winning streak Saturday against Air Force who is yet to win a conference game.