ASUU candidates should support Sustainable Campus Initiative

I would like to take a moment to comment about the recent article (“ASUU candidates differ over sustainability fee,” Feb. 11). This article came as quite a surprise to the Sustainable Campus Initiative team. Each of the candidates have shown their support for the SCI by signing a petition, and some are assisting in the petitioning process.

My initial response to this article was neither anger nor resentment toward our candidates. Rather, it was disappointing to see each of them succumb to media pressures and fall into stereotypical political roles. With that in mind, there are three statements I would like to direct to each of the campaigns running for ASUU office.

First, it’s admirable to witness the dedication and time each of you designate to your campaigns. You all deserve the utmost respect for taking the initiative to represent U students.

Second, let your ethics remain strong and honor the commitments you have chosen to pursue without political reservation.

Third, there is nothing wrong with promoting new direction for politics. After all, you are the new generation of innovators, creative thinkers and problem solvers.

Jessica Scharf and I began researching the SCI with our friend and mentor, the late Craig Forster, in August 2008. It has been our responsibility as the Sustainability Board to promote new and innovative ways for our campus to reduce its demand through conservation, efficiency, waste reduction and overall, more sustainable ventures8212;we have done exactly that. Having taken the responsibility to go above and beyond the call of duty, we have led this initiative through extensive research, bold action and remarkable student support. We have researched and documented many colleges and universities with programs similar to the SCI. We have shown numerous financial benefits, community building opportunities and ways to reduce our ecological and carbon footprints. We have no uncertainties that we have provided the U students with one of the very best sustainability programs available in the nation for less than one half of one percent increase in tuition.

As always, the door is always open for those who would like to learn more about this initiative. Please stop by ASUU (Union Room 234) to sign and show your support for the SCI.

Dallas Hamilton,
Sustainability Board co-director, ASUU