Red Rocks take it to the top

By Bryan Chouinard, Staff Writer

Coming into the 2009 season, head coach Greg Marsden had people in line to fill in for the most successful gymnast in Utah history, Ashley Postell. To what extent, however, was a different story.

Seniors Kristina Baskett and Nina Kim were locks for the all-around, but would that be enough?

“You can’t replace a person like Ashley,” Marsden said. “It has to happen by committee and that’s exactly what has happened, everyone has risen to the challenge and done a great job.”

After losing their best gymnast from last season, and arguably ever, the Red Rocks bounced back by achieving something no one on this season’s roster had before8212;being No. 1 in the country. Just as Marsden had hoped8212;the void left was filled, not by one person, but by many.

“Gael (Mackie) has been a pleasant surprise,” Marsden said. “She struggled on beam and floor early on in her career here so it’s been a pleasant surprise to see those (events) come around. Then there is Jamie Deetscreek, it wouldn’t be truthful if I said I’m not surprised with her too. Although I knew she was working hard, I never could have imagined she would turn into the strong all-around competitor that she has.”

In the first home meet of the season, Deetscreek showed how hard she worked during the summer by winning her first all-around title of the season. Mackie, on the other hand, has come on strong during the past two weeks, competing in the first two all-around competitions of her career.

“Gael is competing for spots on beam and floor,” Marsden said. “So some weeks she’ll be out there and other weeks there will be other people there unless she distinguishes herself as the obvious choice and she is capable of doing that.”

The competition for starting spots couldn’t be stiffer inside the Dumke Center. Five gymnasts8212;Baskett, Kim, Deetscreek, Mackie and junior Daria Bijak8212;have competed in the all-around at some point this season.

Bijak’s strength and endurance have been watched closely this season after training all summer for her native country of Germany for the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing. Nevertheless, Bijak has worked her way into the all-around line up this season. Utah fans can expect to see more as the Red Rocks draw closer to the national championships.

“I really think Gael and Daria are going to be there for us in the end,” Kim said. “And we just have so many girls for every event, it’s really comforting.”

Kim, who has competed in the all-around in all but one meet this season, won her first all-around title of her career last weekend in Nebraska. Her score of 39.50 tied a season high for the senior, which led Utah to a 196.525-195.725 win over Nebraska.

“(Winning my first all-around) was exciting,” Kim said. “I thought it would be more exciting than it was, but we didn’t get a (team score of) 197 this time and that’s a lot more exciting than winning the all-around.”

Along with staying healthy, the key to Utah’s run to the top has been the team’s depth. On any given night, anyone can step up and carry the team.

“There’s definitely a sense of friendly competition,” Marsden said. “Everyone wants to be the top all-arounder. As a coach, it’s important that your athletes have that competitiveness within your team, but you have to make sure it doesn’t get out of hand.”

Lucas Isley

The U?s Gael Mackie played a critical role in the Red Rocks? recent victories against Utah State and Nebraska. The team looks to use its depth in its upcoming meet against Michigan Friday.